Converting half the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about converting half of our garage so I can use it as a office. We live in a new build house and the garage is attached to the side of the house and we have access to it from the conservatory.

I would like to do the job myself and have basic diy experience. The garage is breeze block both sides, our house one side and the other side is a neighbours garage. There is a single brick wall at the back. We already have electric in there.

Any ideas roughly how much this would cost and what would i need?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
I would start at around 3k depending upon who you will employ, and through which authority you wish to have the work inspected etc.

Electrics, heating, ventilation, insulation, lintelling, foundations will all need to go through b.c. or similar body.

If you DIY, you should be able to do this for a lot less than £1k

And if you do your research and do it correctly, then it's up to you whether to bother going through building regs or not. I wouldn't

Insulation and ventilation for comfort, and DPM to floors and walls are the key things.

Some new builds may have a planning restriction requiring the garage to be kept as a garage and not converted. But again, whether you bother with this is up to you

Sponsored Links
He says he's already got leccy, and why would he need a skip?
It's DIY innit, hence no markup or profit!

Window, inso, studs, chipfloor, PB, I'll say it can be done for £500 :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back