Converting lawn into wildflower meadow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that a rye grass is a problem and needs removal to convert to a meadow as it competes with the flowers .
could i get round that by planting yellow rattle this autumn, then sow meadow seeds early next year?
It's a big lawn to strip, plus theres a chance of rye grass creeping in from playing field nearby

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the plug plants from wildflowershop.co.uk

They will get established more easily in competition with the grass than seeds.

Great idea and will look fab! May be best to wait until spring, using the time in the winter to dig it over?

I'd chose the plants carefully too as some are very good at spreading, too good :) :) While plugs are great, I find them too expensive for a large area so I use seeds. I do some voluntary gardening and with wild flower seed mixes, I just bung em all in trays of compost and when large enough, take them out the tray in one lump and put them in and off they spread over summer. Works better than just sprinkling plus the seeds aren't eaten by the birds :)

Sponsored Links
Great idea and will look fab! May be best to wait until spring, using the time in the winter to dig it over?

I'd chose the plants carefully too as some are very good at spreading, too good :) :) While plugs are great, I find them too expensive for a large area so I use seeds. I do some voluntary gardening and with wild flower seed mixes, I just bung em all in trays of compost and when large enough, take them out the tray in one lump and put them in and off they spread over summer. Works better than just sprinkling plus the seeds aren't eaten by the birds :)
Thanks for that, I'll get my gardening hat on (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back