Converting my garage. What am I doing??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - this is my first post so apologies if I break and forum rules or ask any stupid questions!

I am converting a single skin block work garage into an insulated room but there is evidence of damp on the walls - salts and wet to the touch in bad whether.

There is already a plastic DPC above the first course and I have seen water pooling on the DPC itself where it protrudes a few mil from the brick work.

My intention was to tank the inside of the wall with ka tanking slurry a meter or so from the floor.

My question is, should i tank all the way to the floor or stop at the DPC? I am concerned that if i bridge it with the tanking solution this will make the problem even worse!

Sponsored Links
I would not bother with a render, use a bituminous brush applied membrane such as RIW. Paint it down to the floor. When you stick a dpm down on top of your existing slab, lap it up the walls a bit and tape it to the RIW.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fred. I already started with the tanking though - I couldn't wait to get started! It might be overkill but I enjoy the work so I don't mind. I have stopped at the DPC and left it bare on the bottom course to the floor. I will then tape the DPM to the wall above the DPC as advised by your good self. Fingers crossed....

Just as an update, I tanked down as far as the DPC with two coats of KT Tanking Slutty but was still getting white marks and patches on top of the slurry.

I decided to bridge the DPC with the slurry so the tanking now goes all the way to the floor and about three inches on to the floor aswell and a week later with rain most days, still no sign of water ingress so it looks like this was the right decision!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back