Converting old baxi gas fire place to an open fire (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm just looking for advice regarding our fireplace.

Originally I think it was an open fireplace as the house was built in the 20's and everything looks original.

A old school Baxi has been put in since with what looks like a back boiler (After googling a fair bit) the gas has also been disconnected and capped off.

The pipes which run up the stack have been cut so I know they are not connected to anything and have no left over water in them. When I look up with a light I can see a lot of the stack just has bear brick where the covering material has broken away.

A couple of things I was wondering are:

How much effort/expense would it be to create a small open log/coal fire?
I understand that they don't produce a lot of heat but it will be more for the look and appeal as we have a new central heating system, and we don't want to spend a fortune on a burner.

I assume the whole Baxi casing can be removed?
Would a new flue cover the whole opening above the fire place, or would work need to be done inside the chimney stack itself?

I'm getting the chimney sweeped and smoke tested today, as we keep getting slight damp patches coming through the plaster in the bedroom (We've had external chimney work completed and a new roof done recently to try reduce this) and been advised that the use of the fireplace may also help.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
the bedroom chimney breas will have 2 flues in it.both will need sweeping.possibly the bedroom c/breast needs a vent.
have you had a look at the stack pots and flaunching anflashing condition.go in the loft as wellan look for leaks near the loft c/brest.dot rely on a fire to solve a leak.
the old flow an return pipes need to be completely taken out of the flue.you might have to remove and make good a brick or two.
the whole baxi should be removed.
but until youve settled on a new appliance youdont know what the building opening an flue arrangements will be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back