Converting old house with header and cold tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I’ve recently purchased an 1915 house that’s been untouched for years. We have a cold water tank and a heater tank in the loft and I’m worried about it freezing.

what is needed to convert it into a mains pressure system and what would be rough costs? We are going to be building an extension and also looking at other ways to heat to home so wondering if it worth spending a lot of money now or wait it out a little until the house plans are worked out.

many Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
The fact it has been, most likely, installed for a good number of years. Probably more than 30 at least, and has not frozen and caused issues should give you some confidence.

I have a largely uninsulated large metal water tank in the loft. Never had an issue.

As long as you are using the property and heating it properly,you will probably find there is a fair amount of residual heat making into the loft area to ensure it never gets cold enough that freezing becomes an issue.

So, unless you have super insulated the loft floor to the point where very little heat makes it up there, which is unlikely, there should not be an issue.

No point replacing the system twice.

Also, the fact the water heater is up there will probably ensure the residual heat is plenty enough.

Our heater is the floor below, and the boiler the floor below that.So our tank is in the loft on it's own.

If you are that worried, buy a cylinder jacket and use it to wrap it around the tank.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back