converting out side lights to a twoway switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, some help please!

I have 2 outside lights which I switch on from a single switch inside my house. :D What I want to do is add a third light, and an other switch by my back gate, making it 2 way. :confused: Any help with wiring diagram and what core cable would be great.

Sponsored Links
need to know more about the existing wiring.

can you make a diagram of what has been connected

Dave Mc - please don't take this the wrong way, but I fear that your lack of knowledge concerning how to wire a lighting circuit shows that you also don't have the necessary skills to safely install wiring and switchgear outside.

I don’t take it the wrong way! But over the years I have done quite a lot of electrical work i.e., wired my garage, out houses and workshop all earthed and tested. I have wired heating systems being a Plumber and Heating Engineer. All that it is, is I have never done a two-way switch.

p.s. The new switch I have put outside ready for wiring is a water proof one.

Sponsored Links
This is one of the things I want to know, I was going to use 2 lengths of 1mm T&E

There is a nice drawing in the 'for reference section' of this BB, of how to wire lights for 2 way switching.
Note that any cable run permanently outdoors needs protecting from the elements (think conduit or trunking or similar) or to be of a sort designed for outdoor use (like armourclad). normal tein and earth will work outside at a push, but in sunny locations it tends to go brittle and crack up.
cheers M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back