Converting To Power Shower...Cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Newbie here....

I live in a townhouse type new build....on the top floor I have an en-suite bathroom with regular shower...in a bedroom next door same level is the boiler room with the hot water tank...

I want to convert my shower to a power type...how much would this cost?

Also there is a shower in the first floor bathroom which is just for guests so gets rarely used....it for some reason is an electric type....no idea why as there is a big tank upstairs!...to make it work you have to press this ridiculous nuclear bomb style button just outside the bathroom door (Bellway!)...anyway would that complicate things?.....the bath in this bathroom has a tap/shower arrangement as well so in effect two showers in that bath!....I'm not fussed about that shower facility being 'power' only the en-suite one up on the next floor. So would the pump 'just' power the top floor en-suite shower?

Thanks for any advice on cost/fixing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so just found this

"An unvented mains pressure system stores mains pressure water in a large strengthened hot water tank (cylinder), usually found in the airing cupboard. The hot water will be heated either by immersion heaters fitted in the side of the cylinder or by a central heating boiler. This type of system doesn't require a cold water tank (cistern) in your loft and provides a high water flow rate & pressure."

So I can't utilize a pump from the large cylinder to the shower?....so the only people with power showers are those with like a cold water tank in the loft or something?

You can't pump more than 12l per minute from mains water supply.

Sponsored Links
You will not get a straight answer from any of this lot. I would have a word with a local plumber if were you. That is assuming you can actually find a "tradesman" that actually wants the work.

If you have an unvented hot water then a normal mixer shower should be powerful enough?

Is the hot water/cold water pressure not good enough in the en suite shower as it is?? An unvented hot water cylinder should have at least minimum pressure and flow to be installed in the first place and that minimum should give you a great shower.

Can't get much straighter than that cheers :whistle:

So I can't utilize a pump from the large cylinder to the shower?....so the only people with power showers are those with like a cold water tank in the loft or something?

Yes.

Power showers are normally for vented gravity systems which usually have poor flow, so either a shower pump or power shower are added to boost the hot and cold flow/pressure.

Assuming you have an unvented cylinder, this is at mains pressure and would normally give a good flow/pressure without needing to boost with a pump. Just needs something like a thermostatic bar mixer or other type thermostatic mixer.

You will not get a straight answer from any of this lot. I would have a word with a local plumber if were you. That is assuming you can actually find a "tradesman" that actually wants the work.
You come across as extremely bitter in your posts, guessing you don`t get out much.

Get someone round to take a look but please don’t waste the time of 5 different plumbers as 4 will have wasted there time with no proffit from the job, get some opinions , get the mains supply checked for pressure and flow rates before committing

No. But, if you have a UV Cylinder that’s been installed with the minimum permitted flow rate on your incoming main, you can put a booster on the system, between main and cylinder.

You will not get a straight answer from any of this lot. I would have a word with a local plumber if were you. That is assuming you can actually find a "tradesman" that actually wants the work.[/QUOTE

Chin up

Just went down to the middle bathroom and tried the shower there that is an attachment to the bath and wow the water powers through!...is this because the cylinder with all the water is up one level so the flow has gravity on its side?...where as the shower in the en-suite is on the same level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back