converting to wet room feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is situated upstairs in a converted roof space and has a dormer window.It also has an airing cupboard where combo boiler is now housed and I was wondering whether it was feasible for a wet room conversion.Presumably ant floor level there must be some kind of tray which is no more than the thickness of the existing floorboards with a fall to the shower waste

Sponsored Links
Yes it is feasible. The wetroom formers are 25mm thick so you would need to overlay the remaining flooring with 6mm ply and then use a tanking kit to waterproof the entire floor and walls.

Deck by Impey
Tanking kit by Mapei.
Jeff

Yes it is feasible. The wetroom formers are 25mm thick so you would need to overlay the remaining flooring with 6mm ply and then use a tanking kit to waterproof the entire floor and walls.

Deck by Impey
Tanking kit by Mapei.
Jeff
but that former would surely be thicker than a standard floor board wouldn't it? I am assuming it would be sited where the existing shower is , but with the tanking ,a good 6-8mm above the level of the current floorboards.that surely must mean thaw where the tanking meets the door the level would be higher still, or am I missing something?

No other way as far as I know! Someone else may know better.
Most people are okay with a slight difference in height at the threshold.
Jeff

Sponsored Links
you could replace the floorboards with ones that are the same depth, you can get 22mm formers and 22mm boards having a quick google.

also that video makes it look a lot harder than others ive seen.

the latex tanking stuff looks much easier to use than their flexible grout stuff.

not sure which will be better?

also what that video doesnt say which other do is, you need to make sure the boards around the shower former tray dont move either. they have supported the former with ply which is better than other methods ive seen, but you would probably want to support the surrounding floor in a similar way, because if you step off the shower tray on the the normal floor and that floor bends you could break a water proof seal between the two surfaces

I figured when i do mine im going to replace the whole floor in the room (its pretty small) with new board the same thickness as the tray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back