Converting tube lights in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am converting the back part of my garage into a snooker room, partitioning it off etc..

Currently the lighting in there was tube lighting with ballast etc (pictured)

So i have removed 2 of the tube lights, the first 1 in the line of 3 i have uploaded how the connector block was wired inside, i didnt get a picture of how the second 1 was wired up as it was pulled down without me taking it which i am fuming at because that is the reason of this post...the 3rd and last in the line of 3 is still up and pictured.

I have uploaded picture of the wiring for first light, wires for second light and then show the wires running to 3rd light.

Theres a 6 gang switch controlling these and several other lights but im a little confused how to wire up the middle light that i dont have a picture of.

I have got junction boxes, choc blocks & and twin/earth cable so ideally thinking of wiring it all back up in junction box and running twin/earth the the new light?

fig1 - wires running from light 1 - light 2
fig2 - wires from light 1 and wires going to light 3
fig 3,4,5 - inside wires of picture 3
fig6 - Wiring of light 1 (ingore long wire this is something i put in as i want to turn this light into 2 lights) ideas with this also welcome)
fig7 - how light 1 was originally wired.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So figure 6 shows the cables that were at the first light at there were only two sets of cables coming through ceiling?

And the same switch turned on light 1, 2, 3?

If so you will have a neutral likely to be black.
A switch live likely to be red, plus the earth within one sheath

The it very likely the second set of cables heads on to light 2.

If this is true both reds to live side of light, both neutrals to neutral side of light. This will make the cables live at light fitting two position as well.

But I suggest that you get some testing kit before you start this project and prove what you are intending to to is safe, also some understanding of how light circuits work would not go amiss. Plenty of stuff in Wiki on this.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

hi everything you said is correct apart from the fact that all the lights were controlled by different switches which is what is confusing me

If they are controlled by individual switches, do you know which switch works which light.

Is light 1 nearest to the switches?

You really need to be able to test continuity, there are a whole host of ways that lights can be configured.

Sponsored Links
ok, heres what iv done and it seems to have worked, every switch is changing what its supposed to etc but il just check it over with you guys.

fig 10 is now fig 6 wires up into a junction box that will lie above the ceiling and i have added 2 separate 1.5 twin/earth that will power 2 light controlled but the same swich.

fig 11 is now fig 2,3,4,5 (all same) wires into a junction box, here i have simply ran single red to single red, red/earth to red/earth.

once i have switch power back on light 1 works via its on switch. light 3 which is at the other end of garage and remained untouch is working via its own switch and all other switches are working as they should.

now my next question is...there was a light at fig 11, can i run 1.5mm twin/earth from the junction box connection brown live to red/earth and blue neutral to single red which i believe is the switch live, then earth to earth? im guessing this will work and a long it work via its own switch is case closed providing all that look fine to the experts out there?

I hate that method of clipping two 1.5s. ugh. if you wanna do it like that, buy double 1.5 clips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back