conveting a window to door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
i want to convert my sitting room window facing the garden to a door.
also seal off a door in the kitchen which also has a window for light to come in.

basically i want to remove the kitchen single glazed door and seal off the wall with brick and moved this door in the place of sitting room window.

at the moment i have to go through the kitchen to access my garden but if i convert the window in to a door in my sitting room i will have direct access to the garden from my sitting room. which look nicer in my view.

Now the big question is do i need some kind of permission from the local authority to do this.
i will be using the space occupied by the window for the door so i would not be breaking any wall or anything.

i have attached a current downstair floor plan for understanding .

anyhelp will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Realisitically, you would need some kind of certification/approval...

Since 1 April 2002 building regulations have applied to all replacement glazing. The regulations apply to thermal performance and other areas such as safety, air supply, means of escape and ventilation.

An external window or door is a "controlled fitting" under the Building Regulations and as a result of this classification these Regulations set out certain standards to be met when such a window or door is replaced.

You could use an installer registered with a competent person scheme (BSI, CERTASS or FENSA). A registered installer will be approved to carry out the work to comply with building regulations without involving local authority building control. When work is complete you will receive a certificate showing the work was done by a registered installer. More information about Competent Person Schemes can be found on the CLG website.

Alternatively, you could use an unregistered installer or DIY, in which case approval can be sought from the relevant Building Control Body – either at your Local Authority or an Approved Inspector. They will check the replacement window(s) or door(s) for compliance and, if satisfied, issue a certificate of compliance.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows

Sponsored Links
Yes it is controllable work and constitutes building work which is not covered by any competent persons scheme. An application will be required. Schemes such as FENSA will only cover replacement windows where size of openings remain the same (both height and width). Speak with your local LABC office, they are nice most days :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back