cooker and hob running off same cooker control unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice ref. running a cooker and hob off the same cooker control unit.

I've a double oven and hob to be installed, but just one unit.

Can the 6mm cable coming out of the control unit be split to have two connections off it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the rating in KW for each item.

What is the protective fuse for the existing 6mm cooker circuit?

The kw rating for the oven is 5.0-5.4 kw

The kw rating for the hob is 6.5 kw if I add up all the ratings for all four hob rings.

I'm not sure what the protective fuse rating is?
Is that ampage? It's a 32 amp rated cable.

Thanks

In my opinion those two combined will be too much load for the circuit you have. You need to get another 6mm cable run to your fuseboard with a separate 32A fuse.

5.4KW is 23amps
6.5KW is 28Amps

Now, not all the rings and the oven will be going full blast all of the time so, theoretically, you could run both appliances off the existing circuit but I am pretty sure that the fuse will blow when you use both in anger (Xmas Day for instance).

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your time and patience.

Is it a lot of work in terms of running a second cable with a 32a fuse ?

By that I mean in terms of putting in the fuse, and installing the cable?
I'm presuming here that installing the cable means going through brickwork? My house is solid walls throughout.

Thanks again

I'm not saying this is a long-term solution, but you could apply diversity.

Hang on, are you really in Ireland? Not familiar with your local codes, then.

I am but I talked to two electricians tonight and one said I needed a new supply, one didn't but neither talked in amps or kw hence my coming on here to check, I've read this forum for a while.

So your help has very much clarified things.

Short term I think I am going to get both connected to the one point, and make a habit of never using both at the same time, but longer term (1-3 months) I'll get an additional supply put in.

My house would be unsellable unless a. I put in the second supply, and b. unsafe if someone didn't know how it was set up.

It wont be unsafe because the fuse is there to protect the cable. As I said, its a tad upsetting if you go to church on Christmas morning and come back to raw turkey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back