Cooker and Microwave Connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, newbie to this site site please go easy on me.
I am re-fitting my kitchen, and would really appreciate some advice on connecting up my cooker, hob and microwave etc.

Firstly, the exhisting supply cable to the old cooker switch from the main fuseboard is 6mm flat grey with a 32a mcb.

So firstly, what I was thinking was to split this cable put in a 60amp junction box and run one cable from it to an isolater then into the new electric hob (which has an electrical connection rating of 6.6kw) then another cable to another isolater, and into the single oven (which has a connected load of 2.9kw) does this sound ok ?

Secondly, I foolishly thought that the microwave could be connected via a 13amp fused plug then into a normal 3 pin socket - but surprisingly the cable for the microwave is only 1.5mm 3 core, and there is a yellow label on the cable saying that the appliance must not be connected this way ie it needs to be hard wired, then have a 15a mcb. It has a rating of 3.2kw

Now the oven according to the B & Q booklet, only requires a 13amp supply - so would it make sense to connect it via the 13amp plug way and the microwave into the junction box that shares the hob?

Or is it a new cable for all 3 appliances?

I am only running all the cables, and will get a qualified electrician to connect up when the time comes, but I am just saving myself that expense - but also do not want to cut corners.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated[/b]

Sponsored Links
You need to get the electrician involved now or they won't be happy connecting up your work, they will be able to tell you what you need to do.

You need to get the electrician involved now or they won't be happy connecting up your work, they will be able to tell you what you need to do.
lol - not really the helpful answer that I was after, but hey ho - all sorted now Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back