Cooker blown/needs new "switch"? New to the forums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just signed up for an account and this is my first post though I have looked on the forum for DIY advice many times before (thank you!)

I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to electrics so you will have to bear with me and reply in laymans terms :) I had an accident with my cooker about 6 months back. I was making coffee in one of those frothy coffee makers that you use on the hob (they're like a mini pressure cooker that you put water, milk & coffee in) and it boiled over and spilled all over my ceramic hob (I have a Creda Concept electric oven). I swtiched the cooker off at the wall and let the cooker "dry out" - or so I thought for a few days but when I swtiched it back on it tripped the electric. I did a bit of Googling and decided to let it dry out for longer. 6 months later and it's still tripping the electric as soon as I switch it on at the wall. Anyway, after 6 months of using a camping stove and my microwave oven to cook I called out a domestic apliance repairman who pulled the cooker out and first of all said "you've tampered with it" - which I haven't!! I don't even have the strength to pull the cooker out like he did, never mind tamper with the wires! He said that the cooker wasn't wired in properly and he brieflhy showed me that a black wire was going to red wire (or something like that) and said they should match up and he couldn't understand how it was working in the first place because it was wired up wrong. Anyway, he "fixed" that, he said and tried switching it on at the wall. This time, it tripped the electric again - not only did it just trip the RCD switch but it also tripped the "cooker" switch this time and I saw a big firey red flash under the hob plate (which I had never seen previously when it had tripped the electric). So, he took the hob plate off and looked under there....fiddled about and tried it again and the same thing happened...tripped RCD switch and cooker switch and red flash. He said that the problem was a "switch" - and he picked up something that looked burnt that had wires coming out of it under the hob plate and said I needed a replacement one of them and that it was called a switch and he wasn't sure how much it would cost because perhaps it was a "dual one that controlled the hob and the grill". He is "pricing it up" and ringing me back soon.

I am completely clueless so would benefit from any advice anyone can give. I'd particularly like to understand what has happened, if what the guy is saying is correct and what this "switch" thing is and how much they cost and also why it didn't do firey red flashes befor ehe fiddled with it (though, admittedly it was broken) and how it was working if it was wired up wrong? Sorry for rambling and I really hope somebody can help!!!

Kindes regards,

Kate

Sponsored Links
could be a whole host of problems, but if you have got water/coffee spillage and it has manage to get to the electrical components.
Could have caused damage to them by shorting them out, this is why, even though now dry you have trips.
I would stick with your sparky for now and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back