Cooker cable equivalence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask for a confirmation, please?

I have a kitchen in a property for rental where I am having the the cooking area replaced - so far so good.

For my cooker area I have 1 x 6.5sqmm cooker connection from an appopriate MCB, and 2 x FCUs as part of the ring main, for an integrated cooker / oven / hob setup.

All cables are behind stud walls, but not embedded in plaster.

The cooker hob (maximum loading 6.7kw) I'm looking at has a delightfully teasing instruction:

"Requires 3 x 2.5sqmm, 5 x 1.5sqmm cables, or equivalent".

According to my checks, a 6.5sqmm cable counts as equivalent in this case. If necessary I could go for a slightly lower load, simpler, hob.

Could someone confirm that?

Thanks

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is to ring the manufacturer and double check.

Normally, hobs and cookers can have diversity applied to them and be fitted on a 6 milli 30/ 32A circuit.

Best thing to do is to ring the manufacturer and double check.

Normally, hobs and cookers can have diversity applied to them and be fitted on a 6 milli 30/ 32A circuit.

Thanks.

Manufacturer helpdesk, he say yes (eventually).

Astonished that anyone would install 5 power cables :).

F

A lot of euro cookers and hobs are set up so they can be fed by 3 phase & neutral, so that is possibly where the 3. 2,5 comes from.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the OP might possibly be referring to 7/.044 (CSA ~6.9mm²).
Or has measured the thickness of the cable?
Possibly, but one obviously wouldn't expect a linear measurement to be reported in "sqmm". Also, if he did mean 6.5mm (diameter/width, including insulation and/or sheath), wouldn't that be too small for the overall diameter/width of any credible 'cooker cable', yet too big for the individual cores within any credible 'cooker cable'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back