Replacing electric cooker with separate hob and oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Like the title suggests I am replacing my cooker with separate oven and hob.

I am after confirmation about the wiring required to install these safely please.

There is currently a cooker switch connected to a connection unit where the cooker is wired in. The breaker at the consumer unit is 32A. I'm not sure of the exact rating of the current cooker but it is a twin oven and ceramic hob (at least 8500 watt but I haven't included the top oven rating as I don't know it).

The new ceramic hob (Beko HIC64402T) is 6700 watt and the oven (Beko BXIF243) is 2300 watt.

My plan is to -

a) connect the hob directly to the connection point. The instructions say to use H05RR-5 5x 1.5mm^2 or 3x 2.5mm^2 cable - what exactly is this? This reference doesn't seem to bring anything up on Google?

The instruction manual shows the connection as one of the below.

hob1.JPG

I think the right option is what I would use? Can the copper bridge be an off cut of the 2.5mm^2 cable?

b) connect the oven to a 13A FCU and then to the connection point. The instructions say to use H05VV-FG 3x 1.5mm^2 cable - again what exactly is this?

The connection is simpler here, a single option with L, N and E.

Can someone confirm this is correct?

And explain the cable references to me please?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Doug

Sponsored Links
A duel cooker outlet plate
AA45DCOPA.JPG
is easy way, however this depends on if you can use 4 mm cable or not, since the supply is 32A the cable needs to be also 32A even though the oven does not take that much power.

Sponsored Links
There should not be, you don't really need an FCU. Is there already an isolator for the appliance part of the circuit?
Just check you have circuit cable rated correctly for overall load. Diversity would generally allow for 15kW on a 32A MCB
devis

Hi, thanks for the replies.

There should not be, you don't really need an FCU. Is there already an isolator for the appliance part of the circuit?
Just check you have circuit cable rated correctly for overall load. Diversity would generally allow for 15kW on a 32A MCB
devis

From reading around here I was understanding that the FCU between the oven and connection point was to limit the amount of current that can get to the oven (to 13A)? Is this not actually necessary?

A duel cooker outlet plate
AA45DCOPA.JPG
is easy way, however this depends on if you can use 4 mm cable or not, since the supply is 32A the cable needs to be also 32A even though the oven does not take that much power.

I'm a bit confused here as to where the 4mm^2 cable comes in as the instructions say 1.5mm^2 and 2.5mm^2 for the oven and hob respectively. Can you explain this please?

Many thanks

Doug

You have an oven with a maximum demand of 2300w, that is all it should ask for and likely will never run at that demand for any long periods. This means the oven is designed only to ever ask for 10A. So really the FCU is not required, as the demand is limited. It is perfectly normal to have ovens hard wired on circuits that can carry over the demand of the appliance, they just don't ask for the demand to damage cable or components.

How can you be sure you comply fully with:

434.2.1 (ii) and

434.2.1 (iii)?

The regs themselves suggest complying with (ii) by "reinforcing the protection of the wiring against external influences".

But then you have to choose how:

Trunking?
Conduit?
SY?
SWA?

How would you ensure compliance with (iii)?

Wait till 1 July 2018?

How can you be sure you comply fully with:

434.2.1 (ii) and

434.2.1 (iii)?
Don't have to.

Don't have to comply with (i) either.

434.2 allows compliance with 434.2.1 OR 434.2.2 OR 434.2.3.

I thought it was only Eric who banged on about 3m limits and fireproofing etc, as if they were always required.

Stop this nonsense you will end up killing somebody.
Why don't you just stop this nonsense.

Which in your case appears to be most of what you post. You are too lacking in both knowledge and understanding. Just stay quiet, and leave posting to those who do know what they are talking about and can actually read and comprehend things.

If you'd like something to do as an alternative way to fill your time, I would suggest petitioning JPEL/64 to remove provisions from the Wiring Regulations which, if done, will end up killing somebody.

Touchy.

When have I ever "banged on" about this topic?

In true BAS style, I would like you to quote where I have "banged on" about this.
It's Eric who has done that.
Don't have to.

Don't have to comply with (i) either.

434.2 allows compliance with 434.2.1 OR 434.2.2 OR 434.2.3.

I thought it was only Eric who focused exclusively on 3m limits and fireproofing etc, as if they were always required.

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back