Cooker Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an electric main oven (3.6 kW) and a Combination / Microwave (3.6 kW) installed next to each other a part of an expensive kitchen re-fit. The "qualified" electrician has extended the existing 40 amp cooker circuit to the new location but has terminated the cable into a standard double socket outlet. He has then connected each appliance to this socket via a 13 amp plug .
I say he should have terminated the main cable with a 45 amp double pole switch. This could then be used to supply the main oven and then he should have looped into the Combination / Microwave via a second double pole switch (at least 20 amp rating).
The "qualified" electrician says his way is safer!
Who is right?

Sponsored Links
a double socket is designed for a max of 13A from both plugs. they should not have been connected like this. not so bad if there was 2 single sockets

those appliances shouldnt be on 13A plugs anyway should they? Being as the max rating for a 13A plug is 3120(ish)Watts

crafty1289 said:
those appliances shouldnt be on 13A plugs anyway should they? Being as the max rating for a 13A plug is 3120(ish)Watts

best if they arent plugged in, but after diversity they could. there also protected by a 13A fuse so are limited in how much power they can use

Sponsored Links
i dont see how diversity applies to a single electric oven. The heatnig element isnt variable, it is on a thermostat, when it says it is 3.6kw, THAT is exactly how much it uses when switched on, and the circuit should be designed as such!

Things like hob tops are different, they have 4 or 5 elements, so not all will be on at once, you can use diversity there!

I think for those ovens, a 20A radial is best for each.

crafty1289 said:
i dont see how diversity applies to a single electric oven. The heatnig element isnt variable, it is on a thermostat, when it says it is 3.6kw, THAT is exactly how much it uses when switched on, and the circuit should be designed as such!

Things like hob tops are different, they have 4 or 5 elements, so not all will be on at once, you can use diversity there!

I think for those ovens, a 20A radial is best for each.

didnt relise the 1 element part.... :oops:

Did you get a Building Regulations Completion Certificate from either the electrician or the kitchen company?

unless that elemnt is not on 100% of the time - then the averaged depends on the control mechanism...
Actually a 13A fuse will carry the best part of 20A for 30 mins before blowing anyway, so it is most likley OK in practice, but not really the best method- agree separate sockets or 20a switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back