wiring two ovens to an existig radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a double oven 5.7 Kw the supply cable is 6mm 2 core and earth with a 32 amp breaker, the run from the consumer unit is about 4m to the cooker isolator the cooker connection is half a metre from that. I want to replace this with two ovens mounted one above the other one is 3.6 Kw the other is 3.2 Kw. Can I connect both ovens to the existing cooker isolator is the 6 mm cable big enough. all the calculations I have done say it is but what does the voice of experiance say. The hob is gas and there is no other socket connected to this radial circuit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
both ovens draw 29 amps, so this is ok for that circuit. 6mm is plenty.

plenty of info in your post. we like that. :)

Thanks for the promp reply. A little bird told me that rather than run two cables from the isolator run one to the main oven and then run another from the main oven terminal to the second oven teminal is this safe.? or was the little bird talking out of his proverbial.

thanks

Sponsored Links
bob.b said:
Thanks for the promp reply. A little bird told me that rather than run two cables from the isolator run one to the main oven and then run another from the main oven terminal to the second oven teminal is this safe.? or was the little bird talking out of his proverbial.

thanks
Thats fine. In fact, you'll probably find this easier, since the oven's i've wired (all 2) have quite spacious terminal areas, whereas it will be tricky getting all those cables into a cooker switch.

Not sure if the ovens will be made for 2 cables though, and I wouldn't recommend modifying it without consulting the manufacturers first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back