cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am installing a new kitchen.We are having separate induction hob (total power 7.2kW) and single oven (total power 2.4kW).

I assume that I can use the existing 30amp feed to wire these in.
The existing cooker was 10kW fed via 6mm cable.

But we are also having a double oven (total power 5.3 kW) on other side of kitchen as Wife does a lot of cooking etc.

Will this need a new feed from the consumer unit ?..Distance to this cooker will be under 10 metres from consumer unit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume that I can use the existing 30amp feed to wire these in.
The existing cooker was 10kW fed via 6mm cable.
Although it's unwise to make assumptions, this time you've got it right. ;)

Don't change the breaker though. :eek:

But we are also having a double oven (total power 5.3 kW) on other side of kitchen as Wife does a lot of cooking etc.

Will this need a new feed from the consumer unit ?
Yup.

Distance to this cooker will be under 10 metres from consumer unit.
You need to calculate the loading, apply any adverse factors, check voltage drop, select the right cable size and CPD, install a new circuit, and test it.

This work is isn't hard, but need to be done right, and it is notifiable.

Hello.

Regarding your 'old' 10KW cooker fed via a 6mm, and cable protected by a 30A device, how long was the 'cable run' ??, and which installation method, clipped direct, or in a thermal wall or conduit ?? Do the 'isolator' switches incorporate a socket outlet?.<(its a demand a diversity thing :confused: )

The same details are needed for us to advise for your new cooker too. (hazarding a guess I would say that your existing supply would be better suited to your 5.3KW cooker, and a 10mm cable for your hob and 'other' cooker(depending on the length of run and installation method of course).

Have you a spare 'way' in your c/u ??

Notifiable, so wouldn't it be best to get a registered electrician to 'do' and certify the work , especially if you are adding more sockets etc?

If you are worried about cost,and want to do some of the work yourself, then maybe ask him if you could 'cable' the job with the cable he wants, where he wants it, with him coming to check your routes etc when you are done (and before the plasterer etc).

Hope this is of some help, (or leads to some help at least)

Regards

Ed

Hi
Thanks very much for all the replies.

Ed.
The cable run is approx 6 metres.The cable runs 1 metre in riser, approx 4m under hall floor & 1m in conduit down to isolator switch which incorporates a socket.

There is no spare outlet on the c/u so I may have a problem with that.

Thats a good idea about running cable.Thanks again for the advice.

Regards
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hello Warnerdr.

The 9.6KW cookers are fine (in my opinion) on the existing circuit, both will have the same point of isolation, not ideal, but acceptable.

The other new cooker could be cabled in 4mm I suppose(again depending on installation method etc), but it is always better to put in a bigger cable at this stage, rather than wishing you had done later on down the line (even if its only 6mm again) ;) .

Not having a spare way in your C/U probably means more work/expense :( but the electrician may just fit a smaller enclosure next to your C/U, no great shakes.

Please wait for other replies to confirm. (or not :oops: ) this is ok.Sorry, very tired at the mo.

Regards

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back