Cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Does a cooker have to be connected by a "Part P" electrician? I have a new kitchen now and the old circuit for the cooker is still in place and I need my new cooker connecting.

I am getting conflicting advice. After some digging I can see that a new cooker circuit would need to be installed by a "Part P" spark but as I said before, the circuit is already there. If the guy that does it is not "Part P" he will presumably not issue a certificate. If this is the case, how do I then prove that the work has been carried out by a pro?

Thanks

Peadee

Sponsored Links
You can connect if via the cooker plate if:-

The load of the new cooker is the same as the old one

The load of the new cooker is less than the fuse for the circuit at the board

The old cooker and new are the same model

Consider diversity.

If the cooker is all electric then consider that the circuit has been well used, as in working near peak load for xyz years. An IR test would be prudent if age is an issue (the circuit, not your age :rolleyes: )

it doesn't matter whether they're the same or different. The issue is whether the load of the new cooker, along for diversity, is too high for the existing circuit or not.

What on earth does that have to do with it? :confused:

As far as the bureaucracy is concerned, all you are doing is replacing an appliance (the cooker), which is exempt from notification under Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations. It doesn't have to be done by an electrician registered with one of the schemes; in fact you are quite free to do it yourself, if you consider yourself competent to do so.

I would agree that it would be prudent to make the most of the opportunity to check the existing circuit though.

Hello all,
hello there!
Does a cooker have to be connected by a "Part P" electrician?
No it does not need notifying and certification, providing the cooker is suitable to be installed to the circuit.
I have a new kitchen now and the old circuit for the cooker is still in place and I need my new cooker connecting.
Well look for one with either same output power as your old one or one that is suitable for the circuits protective device. Then there is less messing about!
I am getting conflicting advice. After some digging I can see that a new cooker circuit would need to be installed by a "Part P" spark
Installation of new circuits, installing new protective devices(fuse/MCB,RCBO,RCDs etc..) and any alterations or additions to circuits in special location or special installations (bathrooms, shower rooms, kitchens, outdoors) does need to be notified.
but as I said before, the circuit is already there. If the guy that does it is not "Part P" he will presumably not issue a certificate. If this is the case, how do I then prove that the work has been carried out by a pro?
If no alterations to the existing circuit are made, you are okay. If alterations are made, it is notifiable regardless whether the person doing it is a member of a competent persons scheme or not.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the replies.
The cooker is rated at 5.1kw and the fuse that goes in the consumer unit is 30A. One other thing, at the cooker end of the circuit there are no sockets because I have had a stand alone gas cooker until now and during the refit the old sockets got binned, which I guess will preclude me from doing the work myself anyway.

it doesn't matter whether they're the same or different. The issue is whether the load of the new cooker, along for diversity, is too high for the existing circuit or not. .

OK- Since you have raised the question- At posting the OP didn't detail the type of cooker. If it had been a like for like, then simple 'logic' would have suggested the circuit was designed for the cooker load. hence no calcs required, and a simple swap from old to new. Simples, eh?

What on earth does that have to do with it? :confused:

As mentioned above froma DIY point, if old and new were same, logic would suggest no calcs required.
That's what it has to do with it. NB Don't use the word earth, it's a CPC now :rolleyes:

As far as the bureaucracy is concerned, all you are doing is replacing an appliance (the cooker), which is exempt from notification under Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations. It doesn't have to be done by an electrician registered with one of the schemes; in fact you are quite free to do it yourself, if you consider yourself competent to do so.

Well informed, and no aghast 10-10

I would agree that it would be prudent to make the most of the opportunity to check the existing circuit though.

Well we agree on something then :LOL:

Ah, O.K. I see what you're getting at now. I was (obviously incorrectly) reading some sort of implied "and" between some of your statements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back