Cooker electrode (brand new) will not spark once installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a range cooker. The Wok burner's electrode stopped sparking (died out over a period, then completely stopped.

I got a new one and replaced it. It will spark fine when being held (by hand) next to the metal plate that covers the gas outlet. (I say "next to", i mean about 3mm distance") But once I install it (i.e. screw the little metal "handle" into the top of the range cooker), it will not spark unless within half a mm, and even then only sometimes.

It's as if the act of installing it grounds the power and takes away the electricity (sorry if my terminology is wrong). But that should not happen, should it?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Likely dirt some where tracking and taking away the energy before it can spark. All I can suggest is electrical cleaning spray and get all spotless before fitting. Try turning off lights and looking for sparks where they should not be. Warning once a track is formed it's hard to get rid of it so clean first before trying again.

Thanks for the advice. That does make sense!

The electrical cleaning spray you speak of, can I use WD40 or do I need to buy a special one? Do you have any idea how much it should cost and where I can get it?

WD 40 will burn so although likely it will clean it will need to dry out completely. I would guess Maplin or any electrical whole sale outlet will sell switch cleaner you could even use meths as long as you let it dry. Even whisky may do the job again let it dry before trying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Eric,

I did have a go at cleaning it with WD40 but that did not do the trick. I then thought that it might be the base (where the connection is) that is the problem area. I therefore taped that up and it is now all sorted.

I used regular sellotape instead of electrical tape because I don't have it, but I am guessing I should change that proper tape as soon as I get it.

In any event, thanks for the help and advise. Much appreciated!

It sounds like your new electrode is faulty & you should send it back.

You indicate this is a new appliance, I would not be replacing parts or fixing faults, it would be going back, with the invoice for fitting and disconnecting with it. Have you contacted the wholesaler or manufacturer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back