Cooker Extractor For Under A Canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I think this is the right forum.

I've been putting together a kitchen for some time now (just as well I'm here on my own as no one else would put up with the length of the project). The base and wall units are in (sans doors) and used, but the next issue concerns the extractor above the cooker that I intend getting.

The company I bought the kitchen units etc. from are reluctant to answer questions, e-mails are sent but replies rarely received. As part of the kitchen I bought a canopy for over the cooker; after some consideration since it was not cheap. I only found out later that it doesn't fit to the wall as expected but to wall units either side ! Just as well that, by pure chance, I have wall units there; but it will make some things difficult.

The problem is I'm unsure what extractor unit I need above the cooker, given it will be hidden behind this canopy and so controls at the front are not advisable. I don't even know what sort of extractor I need.

I have found some on the Net listed as "under canopy extractor" which seems clear enough, except that the gap is 1000mm wide and these things rarely are. I take it the extractor does have to be the full width of the gap ? Alternatively there are integrated extractors, chimney extractors, visor extractors .... all very confusing; and many horrifyingly expensive.

In fact it's puzzled me so much I'm basically stuck now, not progressing. Any advice given regarding what I need to get, especially if it isn't a ridiculously high price-tag, will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some pics might help, but is your canopy just a cover for the extractor or is it the completely enclosed type?. If that is the case then you need a proper canopy fan which has a removable or hinge down base for access, because they are fitted into the base of the canopy as well as fixed to the wall & as you say the controls are underneath. However if your canopy is just an open cover for the extractor & you are just venting out of the back of the fan or just above the top, then any non chimney/under cupboard extractor should do. It will not need to be the same width as the canopy as they are sealed units.

Thanks for the response.

I think this project has been a little ambitious for me and I particularly know little about canopies. The item comes in 2 main pieces, which surprised me since initially I though one bit must be some kind of packing. (As I recall now there were also other smaller pieces of timber that I was so sure was packing I slung them and if I replace them I'm no longer sure how they go.) The thing is that the picture I looked at when I opted to buy only really showed the front bit.

I'm told that the unexpected big bit that I still have, and which does slot into the base of the front bit, is to be cut to accommodate the extractor somehow, so I guess the answer to your question is that it is enclosed.

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=886&sn=yes&doormaterial=yes EDOECP10

I'll try to get a photo of the item (or at least the two bits that remain) if I can.

Your canopy is designed to be fixed permanently between 2 wall units, as you say & have an integrated fan built into it. The installation instructions usually come with the appliance & make the fitting fairly straightforward. The pieces you have disposed of may well have been just packing, or for use in fixing the front & base to the wall units but either way that is not a disaster as any off cut pieces of timber can be used instead. As you have found out integrated appliances are more expensive, but with some ingenuity & effort there is no real reason why a cheaper under cupboard unit cannot be used as long as you buy one with the controls underneath & suitable dimensions. The only concern I have is that you feel the project is already a little ambitious for you & given that the fitted kitchen is usually a major focal point then people want things esthetically pleasing. Perhaps your best be would be to seek the advice of a local kitchen fitter (not a joiner, unless he has kitchen fitting experience)

Sponsored Links
Hi again.

I'm fairly sure the timber was part of fixing the front and base, as you say. As I recall it was only a couple of lengths of (about) 1"x1" ish. I'm also certain there was no instructions that came with it, I assume they thought whoever ordered the item would be expert enough to know how to fit it, but I guess they may have just been omitted.

(By the way a photo isn't going to be available for a while, if needed. My mobile is in for repair, I tried to turn on my previous one but that just doesn't respond and should go for recycling, and my digital camera is apparently at my girlfriend's 150 miles away.)

I'm sure your advice on getting an expert in is sound, but for me it would be unsatisfying. Most of it is in, the only bits I have yet to overcome is the extractor we are discussing here, and the ability to cut the hinge "holes" in the oak doors without getting it wrong (I'd assumed the doors came ready cut from the factory machine, but apparently one has to cut the holes for the hinges oneself :( )

So "integrated" is what I should be looking for. It need not be the full 1000mm (but presumably ideally it ought to be).
I can use an "under cupboard" one (is that a chimney one or a visor one or ... ?)

I have done quite a number of searches for what I want already, being cheeky, may I ask could you point me to examples of the sort you refer to ?

Thanks for the advice.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Cooker_Hood_Index/index.html TLC seem to have a range to suit any occasion & surprisingly inexpensive for some of the built in ones(integrated). They have down loadable installation instructions so that you can see what's necessary before you buy. Have you also considered that you will need a large core drill for the vent hole & is the electrical supply sorted( it may fall under part p regs)

Ah yes, I have purchased from them in the past, I hadn't thought of looking there for this because they didn't appear in the web searches I made.

The hole in the wall already exists and yes the sockets are there already so that shouldn't be an issue (just so long as the extractor pipe is adjustable to use the existing hole that is).

Thanks again, I'll give the TLC Built In / Integrated range serious consideration then, since that seems to be the style to go for. £300+ seems a little rich for me, for a simple air extractor, but up to £200 not so bad.

Cheers, I think i now have enough information to make some progress.

Ah, just to say I may be back with further questions after all, just to ensure I am understanding this correctly.

I was comparing what was available, trying to make a selection, and realised dimensions may rule out all of them unless I am misunderstanding something about how a canopy is fitted.

Wall units are 300mm deep. The thickness of the canopy front is going to be 18mm. Surely that means the maximum depth of any extractor can only be 282mm ? As otherwise I can not sensibly fix the canopy to the wall units either side.

Does this mean that none of those I've looked at so far are suitable ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back