Cooker fan element touching back of oven- Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Scandinova twin oven range cooker which to be quite frank is crap and has been through 3 elements so far in 4 years, and one of those years it was in storage.

Its in its 3rd fan element, and i've just fitted an uprated element which is a 3 turn element rather than the old which was only 2 (also 2.4 kw versus 2kw for the old) and was fitted by a proper repairman. This makes is slighly thicker.

Seeing as the element only cost me £20 this time i've fitted it myself, which has saved me £100 odd. The fitting was very straightforward, the only issue being that because the element is thicker, the 'bulge' plate that covers it inside the oven touches the element. Does that matter?

Sponsored Links
I find it strange that there is an uprated element. The cooker when designed would have had the thermostat position & calibrated for a given element rating.
Anyway thats not what you asked, a fan oven works by the heat from the element being circulated, your element now does not have airflow all round. I would expect the element to burn out (but you say that is happening already.
Just try it.

I would also be worried about anything touching the element, these things glow red hot so it is surely going to damage whatever it touches, even if it doesn't catch fire.

I think you have got the wrong part.

JohnD

I would also be worried about anything touching the element, these things glow red hot so it is surely going to damage whatever it touches, even if it doesn't catch fire.

I would agree with this, except not all oven elements glow, most fan elements do not.

As you think the oven is C*** anyway, I would just use it I dont beleive there is any more of a fire risk with this element.

I bet it wont bake cakes properly, which is one of the tests, but who bakes cakes. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
When the last element was fitted (by a 'proper' repairman) the cooker used to be hotter at the back of the oven than the front. I do wonder if that was because the element was touching the plate in question and causing a hot spot at the back of the oven. But where the element failed it wasn't touching.

Hole spacing on the attachment is correct, and the diameter of the element is correct. It was advertised as an upgraded element because the originals were prone to failure.

When i connected up the new element and test ran it without the cover plate on (which would affect airflow and thus the cooling of the element) it did glow red hot in places. Is that a problem?

Diyisfun said:
JohnD

I would agree with this, except not all oven elements glow, most fan elements do not.

As you think the oven is C*** anyway, I would just use it I dont beleive there is any more of a fire risk with this element.

I bet it wont bake cakes properly, which is one of the tests, but who bakes cakes. :LOL: :LOL:

Glowing red just means its hotter that 'design' so I would expect it to burn out quicker, but that could be in 8 years not 10.

The element has been fitted for and used for the last 5-6 days and seems to work fine. Only problem being that the oven is hotter at the back than at the front.

Now this element is a higher wattage than the original, but then the last 'standard' replacement also ended up causing the oven to be hotter at the back than at the front.

Is there anything else that can be done to cure this problem or is it something that if the oven does it, i've just got to live with?

The idea of a fan oven, is to have an even temperature, it sounds like your oven was badly designed OR you have a non standard fan/element. Sometimes there are baffles fitted at the rear of the oven to deflect the air as it comes from the fan.

deviant_uk said:
Scandinova badly designed? Never! ;)

Quite. What i want to know is if there is anything i can do about it.

To late to complain to manufacture, but you could try and ask them in a polite way. there may be a modification kit if it was a design problem. Failing that I think you need a new oven.

Hi I'm a Newbie

I see that Lower, has replaced the element himself; I'm in a similiar situation that the element has gone but it was four years old. I have also got hold of the new 3 turn element.
My problem is I dont know how to try and replace it. The bols seem to be rounded. Can any of you guys help?
It would be appreciated. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back