Cooker flex size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size flex do I need to use for a 9000w cooker. The existing circuit in the house uses a 6mm twin and earth cable and a 32A MCB, do I need to change this to a 45A?

I know 1.5mm flex is good for upto 3600w but i dont know about anything above this.

I would have said i need a 6mm flex but can you only get upto 2.5mm in a flex??

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great

Sponsored Links
40A.. depending on installation method ( and assuming it's either clipped direct or free air as you mention "flex" then I assume it's from wallplate to cooker.. ) then 6mm will do you....

What do the manufacturer's instructions say? They should be your guide. Not following them may invalidate your warranty.

1.5mm flex is only rated at about 16 Amps, 9000 Watts @ 230 Volts is about 39 Amps.

Larger sizes are available, but probably not from DIY sheds.

Changing an MCB should not be undertaken lightly, unless you are certain the circuit design is adequate for the proposed load. Cable type, installation method, cable length and the CU/fuse box type you have are all significant.

Some consider that diversity (ie you don't turn everything on at the same time) will allow using a lower rated MCB.
Others argue that could lead to trouble at times like Christmas lunchtime, when you could have everything working at the same time.

Sponsored Links
"flex" then I assume it's from wallplate to cooker.. ) then 6mm will do you....

Yes its the flex cable from the cooker to the wall plate im talking about, what size should that be? The old cooker was connected with a 2.5mm flex on the 6mm ring circuit, is it ok to reuse this cable

Do you mean 6mm is fine for the circuit so I dont need to touch that as I just want to connect the new cooker up?

without knowing where the existing wiring runs, and through what it's impossible to say it it will be suitable for the new cooker and the new breaker that you'd have to fit..

as for using 2.5mm² flex.. no you can't, use 6mm²

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back