Cooker Gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've designed a kitchen for a rental property and got my Gas Safe guy round to give me a quote to fit the kitchen and do the plumbing and electrics.

He's thrown me a bit of a curve ball though, as he's insisted that there must be a 20mm gap either side of the cooker. So my 608mm cooker gap must be a 640mm gap which screws up the whole design.

I've seen loads of kitchens (and indeed my own kitchen) where the cooker sits snugly between the base units so I'm not convinced about this. I'm wondering if he's thinking of an old fashioned free standing cooker rather than a modern slot in type which I'd have thought are designed to sit snug. To be clear I'm not talking about a fitted integrated cooker, but a freestanding slot in like this.

Thanks in advance for any advice. (y)

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers provide installation details for their products. So taking the Indesit 16G52 example you cite. The instructions say:

"The appliance can be installed next to furniture units which are no taller than the top of the cooker hob. The wall in direct contact with the back panel of the
cooker must be made of non-flammable material. During operation the back panel of the cooker could reach a temperature of 50°C above room temperature."

And the aforesaid manual includes the diagram below, showing the cooker butted up to the side cupboards.

Capture.JPG

The sides of cookers are generally well insulated and stay relatively cool, however there are often vents at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back