Cooker heating issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hotpoint SA2544CIX. Recently it's taking ages to heat up, over 25mins to get to 180degrees. The fan is working ok, and the top element is heating, as on grill it's gets very red. Any ideas how to check bottom element or any ideas what else it could be.... Don't want to pay £70 for a button elements if that's not the cause.
There is no fan element as far as I can tell...
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you own a multimeter ? If you do turn off the oven at the breaker , pull out the oven and test for continuity on your elements

Cooker elements have a typically low resistance...they wouldn't heat up otherwise.
I'd say between 15 and 45 ohms.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The resistance in Ohms should be approximately 60/number of kW, e.g 60/2 = 30 for a 2kW element.

Ok. Bottom element was open circuit. Seems a simple swap out apart from all the bloody fibreglass matting that's there. What's it for, heat insulation??? Some seems very close to the bottom element... Just got to source one now

No, that's thd top element. Espares sold a bottom element, but got it cheaper on a hotpoint reseller... Just need to remember to wear gloves when I move the fibreglass matting...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back