Cooker Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a new hob for our kitchen as the one that was fitted when we bought the house is just awful.

Took out the old hob and cooker for access last night and surprise surprise I found yet another DIY disaster. Firstly the new hob would not fit into the worktop as it looks like its been cut out with a bread-knife. The old one is flexible and it seems he just bashed it into fit!

Secondly the fixed wiring point behind the cooker is a bit of a mess. It currently has two 6mm T+E cables connected to it, one for the cooker and one for the hob. The hob one will be removed as the new hob has a cable attached. My concern is that the terminals in the back box seem to be designed for just one appliance, getting both cores in seems to have been by luck. I foolishly took them out and they were a sod to get back and I'm not entirely happy with it.

So my question is, can the existing terminals be removed and a more appropriate, larger fitting be installed? On the plus side the cores for the new hob are slimmer but even so I think it would be better changed.

Attached is a picture of the current connections and back box. The damaged cable is the one being replaced, this is not the first time I've found damaged cables in this house.

Attachments

• Cooker.jpg
    Cooker.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Thanks, that looks just the ticket.

I can't quite tell but will that fit to the existing single back box?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back