Cooker/Hob connection advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a new extension and have just ordered a new kitchen. In our existing kitchen we have a freestanding hob/oven unit which is wired into a standard Cooker switch.

In the new kitchen we have a hob on one side of the room built into an island and the double oven mounted in a high-level unit on the opposite side of the room.

We will be having to get a new Consumer unit installed which will have additional capacity compared to our old 6-way one.

Is the best solution to extend the existing cable to use for the hob (It is the closest one) and then run a new cable for the oven back to a new MCB?

Any suggestions on locations for the hob CU as it is installed into an island return with no wall behind it. (I presume you have to have easy access to the overide switch?)

Sponsored Links
If you're having a new kitchen & new CU, don't spoil the ship, fit a circuit for each appliance.

Having found the manuals on-line (Before buying them) they both require a 32A supply.

Any problem with me using a connection box to extend the cable?

Yes, there is. If they both need a 32A supply, you can't piggy-back off the existing supply.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear :oops:

I will supply a new 32A cable from the new board for the oven.

The new hob is in almost the same position as the old oven/hob but the wall is being removed so it is now a peninsular out from the wall. Can I extend the existing 6mm cable via a connecting box for a further 3-4m so that it can run along in the ceiling to the wall, down the wall and into a new double pole isolation switch?

or do I have to run a new cable back to the CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back