Cooker hood ducting outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have a cooker hood but it's only used in re circulation mode. Due to problems with condensation I'm hoping to get it ducted outside properly. I had an electrician round who fitted a bathroom extractor but he says he can't do the kitchen one as it will likely need ducting through the roof (it's a single storey flat roof extension with felt roof).
My question is about which tradesperson should I be looking for?
Builder, roofer, electrican?

People I've spoken too seem to pass the buck.

Thank you and apologies if it's a silly question.

Sponsored Links
Maybe get a roofer in to install the vent terminal in the roof, then a general handyman or yourself can just connect up the duct to the terminal?

Can't it be vented through the wall? Orders of magnitude easier than cutting a hole in the roof and ensuring it never leaks. Hire a core drill and you can DIY in a couple of hours.....

Is it quite an easy job then? I'm not the handiest and obviously don't want to create a bigger problem!
The external wall forms a boundary with next door so the vent could go through the wall rather than the roof but will technically be over their property. Wasn't sure how that would go down. :) I rent the house out, so don't want to cause problems for the tennents and their neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Is it quite an easy job then?
Well it's not much fun holding a core drill above head height, but it's just a slog. Stich-drilling might actually be easier.

I'm not the handiest and obviously don't want to create a bigger problem!
Then maybe have a builder do the work.

However....

The external wall forms a boundary with next door so the vent could go through the wall rather than the roof but will technically be over their property.
That could complicate matters. Firstly you'd need access from the outside to do the work, and secondly there will be a vent physically over their property.

Wasn't sure how that would go down.
Possibly not at all well.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=extractor+duct+venting+neighbouring+property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back