Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a flat a year ago and i was informed that i need to fit an extractor fan in my kithen. The problem is my flat is over 100 years old and it is built with old stone so the walls are really thick. I have a cooker hood at the moment but it hasn't been fitted up with a pipe to the outside wall or the roof. Would i be best getting a wall mounted extractor fan or getting someone to fit my cooker hood up. Also is this just a normal electrican that would do this?

Sponsored Links
How thick are the walls? And what sort of stone? Is there a layer of brick on the inside or is it plaster on stone?

a 105mm core drill is a handy tool that you can hire.

BTW if it is a hundred years old there must formerly have been a cooking range. Isn't there a chimney you can use?

the walls are really thick. The flat is made of really old red stone couldn't tell you what its called. I don't think there is a layer of bricks on the inside.

This flat used to be one house once upon a time so if there is a chimney i'm not sure where it is located.

JohnD said:
How thick?

lauraram said:
really thick

p4397078_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
are you trying to be funny. How am i meant to know how thick the wall is its rather difficult to measure the thickness of the wall.

1) Yes

2) No it isn't. At some point the wall with have a hole in it - either a door or a window. Measure the distance from the outside of the wall to the inside.

i would but i'm not in the flat at the moment i didn't think i would need all this information just now. If i can give you the thickness of the wall is this going to help you tell me what i need to do?

Yes. Unless you live in a Martello tower you can go to your friendly local tool hire merchant and hire a huge drill with a 105mm core cutter that will make a hole in your wall that you can poke a plastic duct through for your cooker hood.

The person in the hire shop will doubtless have experience of the local building materials and may have some tips for you.

In my neck of the woods, 100-year old houses are often made of flint on the exterrnal layer which is difficult to cut through, although the inside is soft lime putty and chalky rubble or lath and plaster. I imagine coursed granite is also difficult but square-cut sandstone isn't. Down here the old walls are usually 9inches or 13inches thick. I knew some people in a cob cottage where the thickness was a couple of feet.

If you do live in a Martello tower then we will have to think of a more suitable method.

no i don't stay in Martello Tower. I live in Arbroath not sure if you know where it is. Yours advise is much appriciated i will check out my local tool hire place and see if they can tell me what i need. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back