Cooker Hood Extractor Positioning Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have recently had extension built and in the process of getting kitchen installed very slowly as Im doing it

Today decided to have a look at the extractor fan for the cooker and how it looks with the hole my builder put through the wall a few weeks ago now - to be fair hes nailed he centre line of the hole however hes positioned the hole too low by a mile really - the reason he placed where it is is because its now only about 2inches below the guttering facia outside - so we are limted by that really- I did query whether we should wait or measure up but he went ahead anyway

Now its way too low - what are the options do you think just leave the extractor on recirculate option instead or put a vent through the pitched roof above the cooker instead - I think we are between joists if we need to do that so thats something positive

Any advice would be appreciated - if we do get the builder back to go through the roof - is that a big job - I dont think it is but thats me - is there any sort of issue with condensation comming down the pipe

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
As long as you insulate the duct the condensation should be ok, you can add condensation traps if it's a long run up to the terminal.
But generally ducting through the roof is risky due to it having to be detailed correctly for weather reasons. You'd need a roofer to do it a bit like a soil vent pipe.
You can get specific vent terminals that replace a tile but they can be expensive

You'd be disappointed using the extractor in recirculation mode. Go up through the roof using the appropriate terminal, often plastic with a length of convoluted ducting attached. If there isn't any joists in the way it shouldn't be a big job. Slate roofs are more delicate than concrete tile of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Put an extra wall unit on and run the duct through that.

My preference is to get rid of the steam etc so yeh we may as well do a job of it I dont want condensation / damp issues - getting difficult now with Christmas coming - jobs are dragging on so hoping to get the builder and his rooofer back to do it

Well the height of the cabinets is 2112mm or about there and we only have about 50mm above that then the roof starts its slope - so the roof is low at the eaves

The extractor is this one https://www.samsung.com/uk/cooking-appliances/hood-nk36m5070/ it has no back entry either which I looked for

The book says the minimum height off worktop is 650mm for gas - if I go to that - its way too low and even at that level the back box of the extractor is half covering the 160mm hole we have - so really for it to look right it need to go up a good bit

We could move the hole up but its very tight and then we are going into the facia outside

I think we need to go through roof - just trying to find pictures of the build now and I think we should be OK to go straight up - it will be hardly be anything of a run way less than a metre I would say

Last edited:
In most instances the roof eaves soffit is set at 2100mm above DPC or internal floor level. 650mm above a 900mm worktop gives 1550mm which ordinarily would still be 550mm below the external soffit.

Have you an unusually low ceiling or steep roof?

It is low at the eaves yeh - the slope is about 22.5 degrees - looks steeper in this photo - the hole is located to the right of that middle cable on the right of photo below - dont have an up to date photo and in work at the mo

20181019_100542_zps6pgwnhdy.jpg

20180921_155217_zpsvfcp0nic.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the pitch - any higher and we wouldn't get the pitch on the roof so has to come to where it is really

I can't see it.

How high above the worktop is it?

I can't see it.

How high above the worktop is it?
If the patio door top is anything to go by then the sloping ceiling is starting at 2100mm up from FFL as opposed to a more regular 2400mm up from FFL. I would say at a guess 2150mm to that change of direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back