Cooker Hood Filters

S

Selwyn1111

Having just inherited a cooker hood ( no external flue) in moving house, I'd like to put a filter in it - oh yes - none in there so about as much use as a cholcolate teapot!!
Its a stoves one but obviously not new and no hints on their website so finding the right part is proving tricky. Ordered a couple of filters from same size more recent Stoves hoods that don't fit and fed up ebaying them.
Have any of you tried a 'blanket' type charcoal filter that just sits over the metal grille? Its a sort of 'one size fits all' job but all I can do without various code details etc - all of which are missing from the hood. :(

Sponsored Links
Try espares for the filter....mind you, I don't like recirculating cooker hoods - more bother than they are worth, but only my opinion!
John :)

Agreed! sadly ( having wanted a 'proper hood') it appears I've got a chimney behind where the flue should go so I think I'm stuck with it.
The chimney serves the kitchen former range ( where the hood is) and the living room fire - so I guess coring a flue hole would bring its own issues.
tried espares but without the hood details I keep buying the wrong filters. Getting expensive so thought I'd go for the blanket type. :rolleyes: Just wondered if anyone had tried them?

Surely the living room and range didn't share the same flue, did they??
I've no idea what the regs are regarding this, but it could be possible to use the old range flue - but purely a guess.
Is there no I.D at all inside the hood?
John :)

Sponsored Links
There is one chimney stack with two flues into it - its a victorian house. Not sure what happens inside but I didn't fancy coring a hole and the smoke from the living room fire coming into the kitchen!! Also you'd be coring through a vulnerable bit wouldn't you? ( certainly a builder I asked said not to do it - was I being had?)

Oops - forgot to mention - the hood ref inside is a discontinued one - and no spares available - was trying to match up to a new one - didn't fit ( of course :evil: )

There is one chimney stack with two flues into it - its a victorian house. Not sure what happens inside but I didn't fancy coring a hole and the smoke from the living room fire coming into the kitchen!! Also you'd be coring through a vulnerable bit wouldn't you? ( certainly a builder I asked said not to do it - was I being had?)

Usually the flues were separate until right at the very top, where they joined with a single pot...the very thin brickwork separating the two at the top was called the 'feather' and was easily knocked off when sweeping!
Maybe its best left alone.
Cheers John :)

Think you are confusing filters, hoods without individual metal grease filters use a blanket style[can be bought as universal and cut to size] filter this is for grease trap, they then have a charcoal filter [often specific to unit depending on size]above that to filter smells.So the old type you have will need both and they require changing very regulary.

Aha! makes more sense! The hood has three metal filters on the underside which open ( grease filters presumably). Nothing above that except the motor. Was going to try the blanket type filter and think you can get charcoal ones like that too.
The specific filters I ordered are cartridge type - just can't get the right size.

Hi Selwyn1111

If your extractor is in recirculating mode, I think you can buy filter sheets (to cut to size) that fit into the hood - think there are two types 1st one is white, which is grease filter ( with red bands which indicate when needs changing), and then a 2nd charcoal impregnated one which trys to eliminate smell. Can be used in conjunction.

Tony

Excellent - yes - just got hold of those - hoping they work with all the Christmas grease!!! Thanks! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back