Cooker hood wiring (help!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone
I’m trying to fit a new cooker hood and need to wire it, unfortunately I have just moved to a new build and they have fitted a modern ceiling extractor that is supplied from a duel switch 3 core + earth ( one switch is on and second switch is boost) I need to wire in the new cooker hood which has a 3 pin plug fitted, my question is can I fit a single socket from the 3 core or should I fit a junction box only and cut off the plug and wire it in and if I can do either of these what do I do with the black switch wire? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There is no reason not to fit a socket, except it may then be used for some thing else, if the hood is wired into for example lights, then plugging something else in could cause the overload to trip/fuse. I clearly don't know how it is wired, so there may be some thing I have missed. Up to you to do inspection and testing as when doing any electrical work.

Is there a way to spur from the extractor supply and fit a single socket ?

Why do you want to remove the ceiling extractor?

It sounds like the ceiling extractor has a switched live plus a permanent live (along with a neutral and earth). It may be the case that the perm live is there to power a humidistat sensor.

Why can't you use the supply to power both devices?

Sponsored Links
Hi Opps, I have a new cooker hood so I don’t need the fitted extractor, I didn’t want to keep both as it seems unnecessary. It’s starting to look like I may need to take a spur from a nearby socket, although I was trying not to do too much damage to the walls/ceiling as it’s a new build

This is what I have

Attachments

• IMG_4022.jpeg
    IMG_4022.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4021.jpeg
    IMG_4021.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4025.jpeg
    IMG_4025.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 50
This is what I have

Apropos minimal damage, I would be tempted to keep the extractor, but to run a supply back to the cooker hood. I assume that you don't have concrete ceilings.

Keep the existing fan, and supply the new hood from there.

Presumably you won't be bothering to fit an extraction duct for the new hood?

New build regs require kitchens and other rooms to have extractors to the outside.

If your planned cooker hood isn’t extracting to the outside then you really need to keep the ceiling fan too - which I suspect has a humidity option in it too

New build regs require kitchens and other rooms to have extractors to the outside.
Do you mean IF there is a fan it must vent to outside or

do you mean that there must be a fan (other rooms?) and it must vent to the outside?

What is this regulation?

Part F of the building regulations
We've been here before :) ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back