Cooker Hood Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding possible setups in my kitchen

can i run a 2.5mm cable from the cooker control switch to a 3A fused spur for the cooker hood?

I do have the option to take it from an old feed around 3 meters away (was a extracter fan there previously) (i`m going to have to run cable along from it however which is extra work but can be done but checking on this forum to see if the fused spur can be taken from the control switch as demonstrated in the image below)

there already exists running from the control switch, a 6mm cable which has a socket (with backbox) on it which the over hooks into, the hob is also coming from the 6mm cable to power that.

also if this is an ok setup, should the hood be wired so that it is "always on" or should it be switched also using the cooker control switch?

the setup is below

cable running to the socket is 6mm and to the hob is 6mm

cable from the oven is molded plug from manufacurer.

cable to the hood is 2.5m

Sponsored Links
you need to be Part P qualified to do electrics in a kitchen, I suggest youfind and electrician to do it. in theory you are right.and use a switched fused spur to isolate the hood.

you need to be Part P qualified to do electrics in a kitchen,
No you don't.. stop telling lies..
you can DIY it but you have to notify the LABC and pay a fee before you start and then get them to come and inspect it at first fix and to test and inspect it when finished ( at extra cost maybe, as they are allowed to charge for it now.. )

That said however.....
I suggest you find and electrician to do it....
is always good advice if you're unsure to get a professional in.. ( although again, they don't have to be part P registered, they can do it via the route above, maybe at a reduced cost if the LABC is willing to accept their test results etc.. )

Also, isn't Lanarkshire in Scotland? if it is then Part P doesn't apply there as the seperatists have their own rules along with their own SMP's and money..

okay thanks, I just had to make sure before i done this, yes Lanarkshire is in Scotland, the circuit is actually a little different, I have a 45amp rated spur going to the hob then a socket with backbox at the end of the circuit for the oven, plug for oven is molded.

Sponsored Links
That said however.....
I suggest you find and electrician to do it....
is always good advice if you're unsure to get a professional in..
Lots of people suggested that last time:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211653

It's not a suggestion he values.

Also, isn't Lanarkshire in Scotland? if it is then Part P doesn't apply there as the seperatists have their own rules along with their own SMP's and money..
Funny how it wasn't their (only) their own money used to rescue RBS and HBOS though.... ;)

Thanks bookahandyman + ColJack

really apprechiate your constructive replies.

as for ban-all-sheds - that project is well finished, I done it personally after seeking advice through a friend, I then purchased a long masonary drill bit feeding a new cable through the wall to the hallway, thus gaining access to the lighting circuit from there near the consumer unit.

I found it the most efficiant way to do it afterall, cheers.

Funny how it wasn't their (only) their own money used to rescue RBS and HBOS though.... ;)

predudice & totally off topic

1) Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome. This is a friendly site and we ask that everyone is treated with respect! Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome on this site and are always removed! Keep it civil!

2) Posts should be relevant to the topic. Irrelevant posts that don't contribute to the topic will be removed or split.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back