Cooker Hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Please excuse me being a half-wit, but...

My Smeg Cooker Hood stopped working, fan and light both. I've replaced the switches in the Main Switch Assembly, but still nothing - no power seems to be getting through. Which I think leaves two options: either the motor in the Hood is knackered, or a fuse has gone somewhere. If it's the motor, then it's probably not cost-effective to replace, and a new Hood would be the order. My question relates to the other possibility - a fuse having gone.

Is it possible that my Cooker Hood simply plugs into a regular socket, placed behind my electric oven, rather than being wired into the above-counter cooker switch that switches on my electric oven? And if so, is it feasible that it is simply the fuse in this plug that's gone?

There's no indication that a socket fuse has gone on my main fuse box.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
It's possible a socket is behind the cooker or directly behind the hood.
It could also be hard wired to a FCU fused connection unit.
The fuse in all of these are easily replaced, but you will need to investigate where the outlet is first.
Don't rule out loose connections or the hood being wired straight back to the fuse box and that being fused too, unlikely the later but you never know.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give advice. Finding the outlet is the difficulty for me here - there's nothing obvious to the eye. We've been in the house about 3 years, and the built-in cooker and dish-washer are wired directly to switches, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is simply a plug point behind the oven for the Hood. Main fuse box in the garage isn't showing anything.

A bit worried about pulling the oven out to look behind it (since I'm well known for good intentions, but a calamitous nature), but I guess that's the last hope before I call out a spark.

Thanks again for taking the time - just really wanted to know if it's common or possible for it just to be a plug.

Some hoods just lift of brackets on the wall, the outlet could be behind it.
Ovens are not that hard to pull out either, have you looked in the units either side of the appliance.
Sometimes they get popped in there for easy access.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - I have looked in the units either side, and on top of the units, but there's nothing. Thought I might have been in luck looking inside the chimney itself, but it was just another terminal block.

The Hood is pretty well fixed, so I think I'll try the oven first, before I start dismantling the Hood. Won't get a chance now to do this till Saturday.

Thanks again for taking the time, my friend. Possibly seems like obvious stuff to you, but I'm a lay-man, and am willing, but with only a little knowledge.

Best wishes, and I'll report back any findings.

Sorted!!

I found the spur - I'd looked everywhere, but in one final trawl before removing the oven, I thought I'd have a look behind the kickboards at the foot of the units either side of the cooker - and there it was. Pretty shabby place to put it, and if I have someone in at any point who actually knows electrics, I'll ask them to move it.

To my friend from Northern Ireland - very very many thanks for taking the time, and for the advice.

Best wishes

no worries, it's always handy to leave them easily accessible, behind the kicker board is not such a bad place for it to be. Know you are aware that it is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back