cooker hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, not got cooker hood yet as finding it hard to get a 80cm one of decient quality.
Im putting units up in kitchen so thinking of how to get power to hood.

On top of unit to be there is a socket , could a spur be run from that, csble run accross units to a switched fcu, cable from hood run vertically to fcu.

Or should cable come from socket 300mm from hob , to spur next to it, up to 150 mm from ceiling, accross and down to fan. , i would put it in false part of hood or just outside. Im just running the cable. Not connecting . That's for guy doing oven ( hopefully lol)

Sponsored Links
Wherever you run the cables, the must be in the correct zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls
A spur can be run from the existing socket providing it is not already an unprotected spur from a ring final circuit. You would probably need a fused connection unit there with a 3A fuse in it. That's what most cooker hoods need.

PS why not plug your hood into the socket that is already there??

On top of unit to be there is a socket , could a spur be run from that, csble run accross units to a switched fcu, cable from hood run vertically to fcu.
Can only run a spur if it is not already a spur or fit FCU before this socket.
You could just use an extension lead.

Or should cable come from socket 300mm from hob , to spur next to it, up to 150 mm from ceiling, accross and down to fan.
You could do that. (It doesn't matter where the power comes from.)
It doesn't have to go to within 150mm. of ceiling as long as it is horizontal to FCU.
(It is the cable which is the spur; not the FCU.)

I prefer to take the supply for the hood from the cooker circuit so that it is also switched off by the cooker switch.

The socket its coming from is a fcu protected by 13a fuse. It goes to a single and double socket. (Total 6 amp). The hood would come from this to a 3a sfcu its the cable from the hood how do I get the flex across to the fcu without it being out zone

Sponsored Links
I thought no one had replied as diynot is not sending email as it used to. Need to look and see why not

The email (or not) will be down to your settings.

Safe zones are horizontal or vertical lines from an accessory.

Got the emails working now.

Thanks bud. just wanted to check as it will come from hood. Across wall to spur but buried under pb so its not saw.
I've another thread up about hanging cabinets .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back