cooker hood wiring route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .
Spark wired kitchen about 2 month ago. I told him I was going to put a hood up but didn't have it yet.

As per pic you can see the cable he rolled up at top right, this goes to a trailing socket, he said I should just put plug top on and connect it to it ( wire going accross wall.)

I know that this would not need safe zone as it can be seen.
But I don't want the cable draped

So spoke to him today and he is proposing a 3a fcu at end of unit tops and a flex outlet behind false hood, and sinking cable into wall before its tiled over.
That fcu would be operated by a 13a fcu in countertop.

The other option he said was to take a spur from socket on counter, down along to the left, up wall in safezone then into loft or just below the cladding, run along then down to hood, this sounds excessive as I would need to take units down.

Told him I will do cable run myself to save dosh, For Him to connect,

Pitty couldn't just go from socket . Up wall to loft then down to hood, but with coving its hard to do. Without cutting lumps if plasterboard out.

What would you suggest best route.

Attachments

• 20161003_165854.jpg
    20161003_165854.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 383
Sponsored Links
I would take a spur straight up from the hob/oven supply and have one FCU flex outlet wherever it would be concealed by the hood.

I don't know why there is any need to go into the loft.

Hob is gas and the supply is under the hob. It would be easier to take it right up middle to the flex outlet. And for a fcu fitted nxt to hob socket.

Think he wants to make cash or put me off fitting cable.

You just take it from the hob socket straight up (or straight up then horizontal) to somewhere behind hood and have FCU flex outlet there.

No need for FCU beside hob socket.

Sponsored Links
Would that cable be in a safe zone if the accessory it feeds is concealed?

EDIT: that was aimed at G1z. EFLI's post was not visible when I answered.

Of course its a full plug. A plug top is just a usless piece of plastic. It was the full lot.. with pins as well .

Think that's why he wants it taking up into loft as it will go up the side in the safezone, then into loft and down to behind hood.
Its getting vented via loft then externally, so cable would come down the side of the ducting

I prefer hoods to be connected to the cooker circuit so that they are also controlled by the cooker switch.
Others disagree and the need is very rare.

IF there were a need to go into the loft, then you may as well connect it to the lighting circuit which is already up there - but, however you connect it in the kitchen, there isn't a need to go into the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back