Cooker / Induction Hob isolation

Electric fryers are so much safer, with a primary thermostat and secondary thermal cutout - and, even if that all fails, the lid presumably offers some 'oxygen starvation'.
In theory yes. However, we had an electric fryer some years ago and the lid sprang open during cooking, spattering my wife with hot oil as the condensation under the lid dripped into the oil. She was holding a week-old baby at the time, but luckily had her back towards the fryer.

The manufacturer denied any responsibility, and claimed to have lost the returned fryer. I should have taken it to Trading Standards.

Sponsored Links
In theory yes. However, we had an electric fryer some years ago and the lid sprang open during cooking, spattering my wife with hot oil as the condensation under the lid dripped into the oil. She was holding a week-old baby at the time, but luckily had her back towards the fryer.
That was clearly unsatisfactory (and I'm glad that it sounds as if no great harm was done), but it's obviously different from what I was talking about. From the point of view of fire risk, it would seem (to me) that electric fryers have got to be safer than hob-top ones.

Of course, a similar problem to that which your wife encountered can (and does) also arise with hob-top frying. Even with 'shallow frying' on a hob, lifting a lid often causes condensation to drip into the hot oil/fat, resulting in a 'spattering' with hot oil. It happens to me, to a slight extent, frequently!

Kind Regards, John

IF15_close_up_1.jpg

IF15_w_grill_1.jpg

F15_image1-G15.jpg

Of course, a similar problem to that which your wife encountered can (and does) also arise with hob-top frying. Even with 'shallow frying' on a hob, lifting a lid often causes condensation to drip into the hot oil/fat, resulting in a 'spattering' with hot oil. It happens to me, to a slight extent, frequently!
It was a little more than spattering, as the lid sprang open with some force, due to the combination of the spring and the internal pressure, so the condensation on the inside of the lid (close to boling point) was flung in all directions.
That wouldn't arise to the same extent with a separate lid, as with a normal pan or the sort of fryer that BAS showed

Sponsored Links
It was a little more than spattering, as the lid sprang open with some force, due to the combination of the spring and the internal pressure, so the condensation on the inside of the lid (close to boling point) was flung in all directions. That wouldn't arise to the same extent with a separate lid, as with a normal pan or the sort of fryer that BAS showed
True, but it doesn't have to be much of an extent to be painful - particularly during the recent 'heat wave' when I've sometimes been 'topless' whilst using a frying pan!

One of the problems seems to be one of 'behaviour'. No matter how often was has 'learned the lession', it's actually quite difficult (at least for me!) to resist the almost subconscious temptation to 'shake the condensation off the lid' (into the hot oil) in order to avoid it dripping all over the place :)

Kind Regards, John

Actually the incident I described would have been much more serious if it had happened with a gas hob, as the spray of oil would probably have ignited...

Actually the incident I described would have been much more serious if it had happened with a gas hob, as the spray of oil would probably have ignited...
Indeed - 'chip pans' on gas hobs have surely got to be the worst option of all. At least my cooker has no exposed flames, but I certainly would not be happy to use a chip pan on it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back