Cooker lid safety feature not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cooker that is working fine, but the lid doesn’t cut out the gas supply to the hobs. I assume its some sort of a cut out switch, just wondering if this sort of thing is it a simple fix? Would it need messing with the gas connected components? (DIY or GAS Safe Job).

Sponsored Links
It depends on the model as to which method is used to cut off the gas.In any case this is a safety device and as such should be repaired/tested by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Whats the Make/Model ? On some cookers its as simple as buying new control knobs on others you will require a repair by a gas safe engineer.

Sponsored Links
The cooker is

Stoves newHome 550 Si

Can someone tell me, what would be involved with fixing the lid issue on this cooker.

Needs a new safety valve/or linkage depending on what system used an probably part is around 50 quid.
your cooker is now classed At Risk and can be very dangerous i have seen a lid explode when it has been closed wand gas failed to go off . It would rip you apart and the glass ended up an inch into breeze block wall.
Get fixed ASP

Needs a new safety valve/or linkage depending on what system used an probably part is around 50 quid.
your cooker is now classed At Risk and can be very dangerous i have seen a lid explode when it has been closed wand gas failed to go off . It would rip you apart and the glass ended up an inch into breeze block wall.
Get fixed ASP
Its far more likely that this model will simply need the control knobs replacing.

Is it all the knobs wont turn off or just a few ?

As far as I am aware, all hobs are not turning off when the lid is brought down. I tested with one hob on and it didn't turn off. But someone tested it before me, this person just told me that the lid cut off is not working.

IS it still an issue if the lid is not used anyway?

I have just been to install a stoves 550 mini and the gas does not shut off to the burners when you put the lid down. I'm wondering that if it has a cast Iron lid does it require one. I thought that every hob with a lid has to have a cooker lid shut off device. I have disconnected it as If an appliance safety control is not working it is classed as immediately Dangerous... Im going to ring stoves tomorrow and fine out as it is a new appliance.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/pdf/GIUSP Edition 6 - publication web version V1 1.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back