cooker on top of gas and electric meter. is it ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can please help me. I have gas and electric meter at the bottom of a tall kitchen cupboard and I was wondering if I could install a electric cooker above them if there was a standard shelf seperating the two areas. I cant find any regulations on this or distance that should be maintained. Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a gas regulation concerning separation of gas pipework from electrical services, which if you have both gas and electric meter in the same close area would be a concern. Do you also have the fuse board/consumer unit there.
The main concern regarding cooker would be dissipation of heat from it, as you do not really want to be introduction a great volume of heat in to an area that contains both gas and electric metering.
I mention this as some cookers/ovens require a section of the under shelving to be cut out to allow for ventilation and heat dissipation.
So a sensible gap of no less than 150mm, should be introduce, providing the appliance doe not require under venting.

Yes the gas meter is on the floor and the electric meter is above it in the top of the cupboard on the wall but both housed in a standard kitchen cupboard. Is that bad? I think I'll find a new home for the cooker dont want to cause any danger.

Sponsored Links
It's not uncommon, like I mentioned in previous post, there should be separation between the two services. Gas regs would recommend a distance between gas meter and fuse board/CU of at least 150mm and a distance of at least 25mm from gas pipework up to 35mm diameter from supply and distribution cables, this distance increases to 50mm, if the pipework is over 35mm.
If you provided an insulated barrier between the two services then that is also acceptable.

With regards to the position of the cooker common sense is a key element, if under appliance ventilation is required to dissipate heat and this heat is dissipated to the location of the above services, then I would consider an alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back