gas cooker electrical connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi We have just had an installer out this morning to replace our old gas integrated oven with a brand new one.He had to leave without installing because he could not access gas pipe feed to the old cooker (old cooker 18yrs old and fitted with solid pipe feed) the cooker was fitted when the kitchen was fitted.I have now removed a fitted section next to the cooker to expose the gas and electric feeds to the cooker but before I call him back is there any new regulations since the old cooker was fitted as to the electrical connections on the new cooker has to be connected up. At the moment it is fed from the cu thru the wall 2.5 tw/e loose behind the fitted unit to a 13a socket in the bottom cupboard of the oven housing and was connected to cooker via 1.5 flex and 13a plug. Is this still acceptable as I would rather he did not reurn to condem the electrics.Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the new cooker type, if it has a plug top then just plug it in as normal.
If it has flex without plug top you have two options, fit a correctly fused rated plug top( I doubt it will be rated at 13A, read manufacturers instructions(MI)). Or You may need to install a fused connection unit(FCU), this will mean replacing the socket outlet behind the cooker and again down fusing the FCU, to the correct rating to MI.
The loose T&E cable should be fixed secure to the wall.

Sponsored Links
My definition is that it's the top part of a plug, not the bottom part, and not the whole thing.

If I google "plug top" The results are amazing. They show a plug, top, bottom and middle.
If I google BS1363 the results are the same.
If I google plug top and bottom, the results are not that great.
I think by referring to the item as I did, although maybe not technically correct, we can understand what was meant by it!

If I google "plug top" The results are amazing. They show a plug, top, bottom and middle.
Probably created by people like you.

I think by referring to the item as I did, although maybe not technically correct, we can understand what was meant by it!
That does not mean that the term is not wrong, inefficient and utterly pointless.

Probably created by people like you.
Not people like, My IT knowledge is something to be desired!
That does not mean that the term is not wrong, inefficient and utterly pointless.
Inefficient and utterly pointless, might be stretching it.
I would guess most people would understand what was meant by it, so the likelihood would be it was effective and if so, not pointless.
And the matter that most plugs these days that are ready installed on the appliance's flex, are that of the moulded type. A plug top/or top with bottom who cares! Same bl00dy thing!

Do you think that fewer people would have understood what you meant if you'd said "if it has a plug then just plug it in as normal"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back