cooker plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My cooker is plugged into a wall socket, a normal 13 amp plug. Its been like that since the dawn of time.

It is quite inaccessible.

Looking in the loft that single socket is on a heavy duty cable so it looks like it was wired up for the job. Nothing else on the circuit, just that one socket from fuse box to plug with its own trip switch.

I would like to change the socket up to a double. Its pointless putting a 13amp extension on it as the load from cooker and another appliance will trip it out. I.e I would have expected a cooker to be about 40 amp fuse so if it works fine on 13 it must be close to its max loading.

My Q. Should I leave the socket as a dedicated cooker socket or would it be possible to add another to it, I think there will be enough room to go from single to double gang although I'm not looking fwd to trying to get in and wire it.

ideally I could use a plug in extender but this will be a 13 amp so it will overload.

Can you buy greater than 13amp extension leads, doublers. Does a plug in solution exist to avoid the need to rewire (only because it is so inaccessible)

My guess is the proper solution is to rewire it to a cooker socket with a 13amp plug socket, which I would do without hesitation if it was not so inaccessible.

Just to re add, the cooker is running through a 13amp plug in a 'normal socket bar the fact it has very heavy duty wiring behind it. Has done for years.

Many thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
you don't specify what the cooker is. ( all electric or half and half or all gas with electric ignitors and lights )

extension leads / blocks don't do well with high current stuff and changing to an actual double is the better option.. the best option is spuring another single of the existing and putting it where you can get at it..

oh and adding sockets in the kitchen is notifiable under Part P of the building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back