cooker rating and cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright people!!

right, i have got a cooker that was in the house i have just bought. the label on the back says: Nominal power consumption 10 , 5kW.

does that mean 10kW or 5kW? i have got a new 45 amp cooker plate and the feed to the plate which is there at the moment is i think 6mm T&E but the breaker in the CU os rated at 32 amps.

It also looks like the cooker has been fitted with stabdard flex but has a moulded 13 amps plug on the end so dont know if this is manufacturers fitting or has been fitted by previous owner. The oven has never ever been used, just thre gas grill once or twice by the looks of it.

if, say, worst case, the label means 10 kW, then the cable suppluing the plate is too small, but if it means 5kW, then its ok.

Can anyone help me on what the label actually means - 10kW or 5kW??

as i say, it just says:

Nominal power consumtion: 230VAC 10 , 5kW.

written on the label exactly like that.

cheers

george

Sponsored Links
the actual oven will run of a 16amp breaker (32A if on ring) on 2.5 cable
however the hobs will require a 6mm cable. 32A is plenty for the hobs, even if it says more!!! if its a combi system then use 6mm on a 32A breaker

its just a gas hob, gas grill, and single oven!!

i really cant see it using 10kW - thats more like halogen hobs and twin oven territory!!!

is there a way of measuring the cores on the original supply cable as the cable feeding the cooker will need to be tha same as the supply side to the cooker plate. can i just measure the core diameter with a vernier??

obviously the circuit will be isolated and tested for dead before i measure the cores - i just cant tell if its 6mm or 10mm!!!

cheers

george

that case just a 16A supply or 32A if on ring with 2.5t+e. cant really help u with the labels, sounds a bit much, but it def doesn't need a 45A supply! ;)

Sponsored Links
cool - so i would be ok with 6mm T&E and keeping the 32 amp breaker. the supply is just on a radial circuit.

cheers

george

Would you care to reveal the make and model number.
That might just take the guesswork out of the process.

oh good grief.. :rolleyes:

it's a gas cooker.. gas hob, gas oven, electrics for clock, fan and igniter..

13A feed is plenty, moulded plug will be original..

10 , 5KW refers to the gas heating power..

oh good grief.. :rolleyes:

it's a gas cooker.. gas hob, gas oven, electrics for clock, fan and igniter..

13A feed is plenty, moulded plug will be original..

10 , 5KW refers to the gas heating power..

ahh right - just assumed that the 5kW was the power consumption of the oven!!! why is it written like thst then, if its for gas??

cheers Coljack

ahh right - just assumed that the 5kW was the power consumption of the oven!!! why is it written like thst then, if its for gas??

cheers Coljack

Because power is power. Whether it comes from electricity, gas, dead dinosaurs, wind, the sea, the sun etc etc etc :)

you have...

1 x small ring = 1.0KW
2 x med ring = 1.75KW(ea)
1 x large ring = 2.7KW

Oven = 3.3KW
Grill = 3.0KW

assuming you can't have grill and oven on at same time, then that's 10.5KW max power ( gas )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back