Cooker simmerstat (energy regulator)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The simmerstat on my cooker ring went faulty in that it failed to regulate the temperature on different settings and was either on with full heat or off, no in between. So bought a genuine replacement but when it arrived the manufacturers had altered the connections so connected as I thought as there was no diagram.
When I switched it on however I found I had the same problem. So could I have the permanent live and the switched live connected the wrong way round and could I have knackered the new simmerstat.

Sponsored Links
i havent got a clue but
i doubt the lack off information is helping
we know you have a cooker but no other detail like make model and replacement description

Sorry. Belling Classic 426. The old regulator is a Diamond 40ER101C, the wires connected are Yellow to 2, Red to P1, Black to 4A( this wire is linked to the other 3 regulators),and a second Black wire to another 4A.(this wire disappears downwards and out of sight.)
The new regulator is marked EGO 50.57021.010 and has 7 connections, P1, 2, P2, S1, S2, 4, and Pilot (which I assume is pilot light which this cooker doesn't have.) Hope this helps someone to help me.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wired the new one........Red to P1, Yellow to 2, one Black to P2, the other Black to 4. The regulator is now working as it should for the ring but now when the grill is switched on the pilot light for the top oven comes on and also the pilot light for the main oven comes on.???? The supplier has confirmed that the new regulator supersedes the old one and that he has 100% supplied me with right one.

Last edited:
It appears that the black wire that is linked to the other stats. should go to P2 & the other one to 4. Is that how you connected it? If not swop them over & see what happens.

Thanks for reply.Yes that's how I wired the 2 blacks and yes I did try swopping them over but same problem. Frustrated so went to suppliers shop today (local) and he showed me the old and the new on his computer on the Belling website (apparently EGO is Belling) which confirmed that he had supplied me with the correct one. He faxed Belling about my problem and asked for wiring instructions but still awaiting reply.

jj4091. No lights came on before and with the new regulator no other rings cause the same problem. If I leave pin 4 wire off I have the same problem. Anyway the supplier contacted me today with some "good" news from Belling who faxed him today to say that with certain cookers (mine being on off them) it's known that this replacement regulator can cause the two oven lights to light up when the grill is switched on. Apparently to overcome this a link wire must be fitted but, wait for it, Belling are not prepared to commit themselves to say where this link should be fitted as they have no record of one ever being fitted and so would not accept responsibility for the outcome if one was to be fitted.??? Crazy. The outcome being that my supplier has agreed to give me a refund and he will get a refund off Belling whose website was wrong in stating that the EGO regulator was a direct replacement of the Diamond one. I have now ordered one of those that you were good enough to provide the link to in your post.

It did seem from the beginning that it was the wrong one & from the information I managed to find it appears that the EGO one has an internal link that yours does not. In fact the opposite of Belling saying it needs one fitting it probably would need one removing. Please let us know the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back