Cooker supply cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've spent a couple of hours trying to find an answer in the archives without success, so apologies if this has been asked before!
We've just ordered a new Dual fuel cooker (2 electric ovens, gas hob) to replace a gas cooker. Now I knew there was a 40A MCB on the board, but it turns out that the socket it feeds is at the wrong end of the kitchen.
Is it OK to extend the 6mm2 cable by using a junction box and more of the same cable?
The cooker is rated at 7.4kW, so I believe that 6mm2 is OK for the job, and I intend to run the cable at high level in surface trunking as I've got a wall full of units and a double doorway to negotiate to get to where the cooker needs to go.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Yes, make sure the join is accesable if using screwed connections (best way would be crimps IMHO, you can then place these in a chocbox and conceal in a ceiling void or something or put them behind a blanked plate or something - they don't need to be accesable, does'nt hurt iof they are though), and the cooker control unit needs to be near the cooker, you can't just extend the outgoing cable and leave it at the other end of the kitchen, I'd possibly swap the MCB for 32A (40A on 6mm² is borderline tbh)

oh, and notifiable work btw

Hope this is helpful and understandable (been drinkin' ya see)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam,

Yes, the cooker switch will be adjacent to the cooker. I'm running the cable in trunking because the ceiling joists run the "wrong" way, but I can put a surface mount junction box above the units. I'll replace the MCB to 32A as you suggest.
I understand it's OK for my brother in law to certify it when he visits next month, he's a registered electrician (I'd have asked him in the first place, but he's working away at present).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back