Cooker supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning the layout / wiring of a new kitchen (in a new build) and I am unsure if one cooker switch can handle multiple cookers. We are planning to have 2 single ovens and a combi oven installed. Can this be powered by a single cooker switch and 1 cable run daisy chained or will I need 3 switched and 3 cables. As I am typing just thought what is needed in the CU is one trip enough.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's a combi oven? How much power does it require?

Would you be happy to loose all your ovens just because one of them has developed a fault?

If its a new build, surely your registered electrician will be best to advise you? I rather think LABC would expect the person carrying out the work to be able to KNOW about this simple question!

But in an attempt to assist. You havent even told us what the power requirements are for each of the three devices and what size cable(s) you were thinking of.

It's a bit like asking "how fast will a car go".

I will not be doing any of the work, I am just drawing a diagram in Photoshop over the plans and I want to have as much of the information correct before sending it out for quotes.

Good point with the fault.

these are what we are thinking of getting
2 x B45E52N3GB
1 x C67M70N3GB

thanks

Sponsored Links
these are what we are thinking of getting
2 x B45E52N3GB
1 x C67M70N3GB
Those add up to just under 11 kW, which a single 'standard' (e.g. 32A) cooker circuit could supply (if one invokes the concept of diversity - discuss with your electrician!). However, as said, if one has multiple cookers, it would seem a shame that a fault on one could leave one with nothing to cook on, so having a couple of circuits might make sense - I would suggest you discuss that with the electrician.

Do I take it that you are going to have gas hob(s)?

Kind Regards, John

It's a bit like asking "how fast will a car go".
For a diesel wheel driven 350 MPH in a JCB Max.

I think we all ask questions when looking at a job. I remember a works canteen with some electric hobs we used diversity but the cooks left each hob on flat out all the time and were swapping pans like a high speed game of drafts.

As soon as I see two ovens, two hob, I think why does anyone need two! Likely not domestic and so normal diversity may not work.

So yes ask the electrician doing the job what he thinks.

As soon as I see two ovens, two hob, I think why does anyone need two! Likely not domestic and so normal diversity may not work.
It's two single ovens (i.e. equivalent to one double oven) plus a combi-microwave (and no mention of hobs, which I assume will be gas) - effectively no different from what one will find in very many domestic kitchens - but you could, of course, be right.

Kind Regards, John

Hob is electric (induction) which will be on island, I have already drawn this from a separate isolation switch along with hood. As to how it connects to CU I have no idea (own circuit or shared) this will be down to the electrician. That's all I am doing is drawing switch/socket positions to give the sparky enough information to give a accurate quote.

thanks all.

Hob is electric (induction) which will be on island, I have already drawn this from a separate isolation switch along with hood. As to how it connects to CU I have no idea (own circuit or shared) this will be down to the electrician. That's all I am doing is drawing switch/socket positions to give the sparky enough information to give a accurate quote.
Fair enough. Firstly, following eric's comment, do I take it that this is an ordinary 'domestic' kitchen (i.e. part of a house), rather than anything 'commercial'.

Adding an induction hob to the three ovens you have already described would be pushing things for a single standard (32A) cooker circuit (even if it were 'domestic') - I would think you should be talking to your electrician about at least two, probably three, separate circuits from the CU (each with its own 'breaker' in the CU).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back