Cooker switch choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In fine tuning the cosmetic design side of my kitchen install, I'm unsure which cooker switch to go for.

The existing cooker circuit has a 32A MCB and is wired in 4mm2 T&E. The existing set up has a cooker control unit with socket, then a nice capped diagonal :eek: run to the cooker outlet (now disconnected).

There seems to be no problem with running 4mm2 vertically down from the switched side of the CCU to a double socket to power the oven (comes with 13A plug) and gas hob spark ignitor (also 13A plug).

The question is what CCU to go for, given I have specced MK Logic Plus for other accessories and would like the same.

Choices are:
MKK5105.JPG

Neatest of them all through using a single box. Only a 32A switch, (same as MCB) but under the current design only 13A + 3A would be drawn through it.

MKK5215.JPG

Least appealing visually through being 2 boxes high instead of wide as for the sockets. 45A switch. Also available without neon.

MKK5061.JPG

Takes the same shaped (but of course deeper) box as a double socket. Also has a socket, whih I'm not sure I need. The circuit has capacity for the extra socket but with the edge so close to the gas hob (8cm) I wouldn't find it the best place to plug something in. There will be plenty of socket outlets (twice as many as I had things plugged into). Also available without neon.

4. The whopper 4-box sized CCU for which I'm not going to bother putting a picture up.

5. A grid switch solution but seems overkill here as no need to separately control the oven and ignitor.

My preference goes for number 1.

Sponsored Links
number 1 should be OK. if you had thicker cabke then best go with 2 to allow more room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back