Cooker Switch Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I had a kitchen fitted a couple of years ago which came with a solid plate hob and was wired to a cooker switch.

I removed the cable from the switch when replacing hob to a gas one.

Original oven was fitted with a 13amp fuse and plug into kitchen cabinet. I have now bought an under counter double oven which is 20amp and have tried to feed the cable back to the cooker switch to power it although having no joy due to access.

My question is that can I change the cooker switch to a double socket and cut the cable under the kitchen cabinet and connect it to a junction box, relocate cooker switch to inside cupboard adjacent to where oven will be fitted and take a feed from there?

Current fuse is a 32amp so would need to change this to a 45amp fuse?

Also cable used is 6mm.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I removed the cable from the switch when replacing hob to a gas one.
Why?

Original oven was fitted with a 13amp fuse and plug into kitchen cabinet.
:?:

I have now bought an under counter double oven which is 20amp and have tried to feed the cable back to the cooker switch to power it although having no joy due to access.
My question is that can I change the cooker switch to a double socket and cut the cable under the kitchen cabinet and connect it to a junction box, relocate cooker switch to inside cupboard adjacent to where oven will be fitted and take a feed from there?
No, but If you can do that, why can't you connect the oven properly.

Current fuse is a 32amp so would need to change this to a 45amp fuse?
No you wouldn't.

Also cable used is 6mm.
Ok.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
I think you require an electrician.

Apologies if I am not being clear enough.

The cable was removed in haste as I thought we wouldn't use it.

I have the cable that goes into the cooker switch from the consumer unit but I cannot get a cable back to this to then feed the oven.

I can access this cable under the kitchen unit and wanted to know if I could relocate the cooker switch using a junction box to a cupboard adjacent to where the oven will be fitted and convert the current position of the cooker switch into a double socket.

I wouldn't have to put a blanking plate on then and would gain an extra socket.

Sponsored Links
Right. As you say, it is said to be "20A", which I assume is the maximum current drawn. After allowing for 'diversity' (which takes into account the fact that all bits of the oven will not be drawing current for lengthy periods of time), that can be regarded as a current of 13A - hence 'just' low enough for 13A accessories (like plugs and sockets, and FCUs) - and the ('wordless') installation instructions appear to show it being 'plugged in'. Do I take it that it didn't come with a cable with a plug on the end?

Having said that, the 'exactly 13A' (after diversity) is pretty marginal, so I would not personally be too keen to 'plug it in'.

Kind Regards, John

and the ('wordless') installation instructions appear to show it being 'plugged in'.
Are you sure?

upload_2019-1-24_19-50-38.png

Are you sure?
Not at all - these wordless instructions drive me mad, and I think (as witness this incident) are potentially dangerous.

Now you raise the issue, you're probably right (in implying that I was wrong!). At my initial look, I thought that the drawing on the left (which is NOT 'crossed out') was indicating a man ('legitimately') 'plugging it in', and that the crossed-out bit in the middle was indicating that it should not be used with extension leads, plug in timers or WiFi switches etc. ! However, now you've made me reflect, I agree that was probably the wrong interpretation.

In an event, what are your feelings about the fact that the after-diversity load is exactly 13A (if the 20A is at 230V, but <13A if, as is probable, the 20A relates to 240V)?

Kind Regards, John

Meaning this:

Untitled-1.png

then yes, you can. Using the same size 6mm² cable throughout.

The only minor item is the isolator being in a cupboard which is not ideal for accessibility.

In an event, what are your feelings about the fact that the after-diversity load is exactly 13A (if the 20A is at 230V, but <13A if, as is probable, the 20A relates to 240V)?
I would not do it.

Plus - it is not necessary in this thread's situation.
There is a cooker circuit which has had the previous hob cable removed. I don't understand why it can't - or shouldn't - be reinstated.

I would not do it.
That's what I expected - and is the reason why I said that I "would not be keen" (which was probably an understatement.
Plus - it is not necessary in this thread's situation.
I realised that, but was nevertheless interested in your view - which would be relevant in most of the situations we hear about.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back