Cooker Switch Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My issue seems to be not that rare an issue with amatuers. I have replaced my cooker wall switch, previous one did not have a light, the new one does. I was extra vigilant to ensure that the load and feed wiring went to the correct points (copied previous set up), however the light remains always on on the switch. The cooker is fine and swithces on and off as expected. I have read other posts with the same problem which say simply switch them round. Assuming they are fine now and it is just a faulty switch, what would happen if I switched them round, this bit cocnerns me as other posts don't seem to explain the implication beyond just righting the problem?

It could be that the previous Spark wired it up incorrectly and I have just followed the error.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
The cooker would still work as expected.

If you think of a switch in it's most basic form
symbol_switch.gif

This is either open or closed, it doesn't matter on which side the feed and load cable is, the switch will still close and make the circuit

The cooker would still work as expected.

If you think of a switch in it's most basic form
symbol_switch.gif

This is either open or closed, it doesn't matter on which side the feed and load cable is, the switch will still close and make the circuit

Spot on, thnk ypu very much. I have chnage round the wiring and it now works. Previous Spark must have wired wrong.

Thanks again.

Just make sure with the DP switch that you have not crossed polarity.

IE: that live on one side of the switch goes to live on the other side and neutral to neutral.

Sponsored Links
As secure says, it is not uncommon for different makes to reverse the "IN" and "OUT" sides of the switch.Also known as FEED and LOAD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back