Cooker switch position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering about moving my freestanding cooker 1 foot sideways but that would put it under its switch. Is the positioning 'not above' mandatory in some regulation or merely advisory? Safe access is not an issue as there is a large gap (doorway) beside the oven though corrosion due to exposure to cooking vapour might be an argument.

Sponsored Links
The switch cannot be above the cooker, as the heat will damage it, and regardless of doorways etc., it would still mean someone having to reach over a boiling pan to switch the power off.
As a worse case scenario, imagine a flaming pan of fat on there. Would you want to reach in and switch off?

As a general rule I always put the cooker isolation switch 300mm away from cooker and remember it has to be readily accessible in case of an emergency switch off

Sponsored Links
A bit more than that

Not directly over hob. - Regulation

A least 300mm to one side - guideline, not a regulation
(I have never, ever seen this "guideline" in part p. Which paragraph, please?)
Accessory must be suitable for the environment, though.

Within 2 metres of appliance - guideline from the OSG and Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations, but not a regulation.

Thanks, seems like it needs to move. I don't think I can afford enough electricity to actually get it that hot though having just had my latest bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back