Placement of Cooker Switch - Rules/Regulations relating to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The existing cooker switch is situated directly over the cooker - Not the best position for safety reasons. As such, I wish to move the switch from directly above the cooker to side of the cooker - roughly 10 cm to the left of the hob and 20cm above the hob. This can be done with the existing cable, Is this new position acceptable or are there rules/regulations stipulating exactly how far away from the cooker the switch must be? Can any one advise before I complete the job.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
no set distance in regs but building regs state 150mm to either side of cooker. hope this helps

Well - not quite - there's no set distance in the Building Regs either.

TBH, 10cm laterally and 20cm vertically doesn't sound like it's far enough away to be prudent...

The IEE guidance to building regs (green wire bound A5 book) advises a minimum of 300mm between accessories & hobs/ sinks (in the horizonal plane).

Sponsored Links
"If your gunna quote it get right", that was the book I read info in but got my figure mixed up as 150 is distance from worktop. Sorry for any confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back